2nd Row Captain's Chairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RugbyRef

Reaction score
Searched on the forum for an answer and couldn't find one, so I'll ask the collective here on the forum:

Does any company out there manufacture some sort of portable console that could be placed between the two 2nd row captain's chairs in a 2021 Yukon (or Tahoe, I suppose)? When I have my ginormous Newfoundland's in the back, I have to lower the 2nd row for more room. I use a pet cover for the back of the Yukon that attaches to the head rests on the 2nd row, but when those chairs are folded down (or up), there is a large gap between them. Obviously, this makes for tricky footwork as the dogs would fall right into that gap if they stepped on it.

Perhaps I'm not using the correct terms when I am searching on Google, but I couldn't find anything other than a few things on eBay which wouldn't work. Short of making something on my own, just looking to see if anyone else has a solution or asked this question before.

Cheers!

Tim

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may have to come up with something yourself. maybe a carpeted board across the gap? would make it much better than to the floor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like your audio system? If you 'need' more bass, then a sub enclosure between the 2nd row captains chairs may be an option for you. You could fabricate one on your own, so that it takes up the open space exactly the way that you want it to. Then, you also have a 'table' for passengers to use, when you have the 2nd row seats down.

In my case, one of my 2 white German Shepherds loves to sit on my sub enclosure and look over my right shoulder and out the front windshield, when we do our rides together. Hence, all of the white hair around my sub enclosure.

Subwoofer.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The sub enclosure style is actually a great idea even if you don't load it with bass. Just build your own little console/box out of plywood, wrap it in carpet or vinyl. You could design it with storage and cupholders for passengers, and maybe some kind of fold up or slide in "seat back" so that your car cover has some support on the back as well (I have the same problem with my captain's seats and a 100 lb lab/dane mix, you can see I've been thinking about this). Plus, when you have the seats folded up in the forward position as shown above, you can simply slide it forward and out of the way.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe there is a cheap Rubbermaid container that could fill the void? Plus you could store some Scooby snacks in it....

Reaction score
I was actually looking at jump seats out of a Tahoe or Silverado briefly, but unsure whether it's feasible. In my mind I was thinking it could work if the armrests were removed from the captain's chairs. For one thing, would likely need custom bracketry, if it would fit at all. Second, it would most likely be a static fixture, permanently bolted to the floor and not able to be swung out of the way. Although, if custom bracketry were involved anyway, it could be possible to mount on a hinge. Third, I have dune leather/cocoa interior, not easy (i.e. maybe impossible) to find a jump seat in that particular combo.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just search “van center counsel”. There are after markets ones out there. I have one in my Safari that I bought years ago.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why dealers don't have more on the lots with the 60/40 second row. Sure you lose the easy access to the third row, but with the ease of putting the second row up for third row access, the 60/40 bench second row just seems more practical.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why dealers don't have more on the lots with the 60/40 second row. Sure you lose the easy access to the third row, but with the ease of putting the second row up for third row access, the 60/40 bench second row just seems more practical.
Yeah, I wish I had the center bench. The middle arm rest folds down to provide much easier access for cup holders, instead of having to purchase a gimmicky "sliding" center arm rest.

Plus my 3 kids now fight over who sits in the captains chairs. They hate not being able to see out the back windows, which have those massive side pillers blocking their view. Really claustrophobic back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700