22" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonJak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon XL Denali was purchased with the 22" wheels and tires.
This past weekend while driving along the Interstate in some moderate rainfall I noticed that the vehicle was very unstable at any speed over 50.

I felt white knuckled and thanks for the Stability control that kept thing in check. I have owned many Suburban's over the years so I am used to the big vehicles and am accustomed to their drivability. The tires have been checked several times and the pressure is at recommended PSI.

Do I have any options to having the dealer install wheels and tires that better fit these vehicles. I feel that the lower profile sidewalls are possibly the blame. Any answers or am I looking in the wrong direction.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could go down to a 20" wheel if you feel like that would make you feel more comfortable. I don't ever get that feeling with mine.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You could go down to a 20" wheel if you feel like that would make you feel more comfortable. I don't ever get that feeling with mine.

X2. Never in the 10+ years Ive been on 22's have I gotten that feeling. Id make sure everything else is in check, because it shouldn't be the 22's

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say this issue is the result of the tires you're running and not related to the size of the rims. There are tires that are better in rain than others

Last edited:

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second 07burb - there nothing wrong with a set of 22's in the rain or on the snow. Look at tires vs wheels. What's it got on it anyway?

OP
OP
YukonJak

YukonJak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
22" wheels tire reply

The tires on my Yukon are I believe a very good set.
They are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's P295/45R22 110H M+S
I'll try to load a photo of the wheel and tire.

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 28

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your alignment checked...... if not then its definitely your tires. I had some very sticky street tires on my RX8 at one point. Extremely grippy but as soon as it rained I was the same way, as soon as I saw a puddle I was bracing for that feeling of being on the edge of hydroplaning

OP
OP
YukonJak

YukonJak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
22" wheels still hinky

Don't you just love that word HINKY,

Well I have checked tires for grip, roundness, alignment, PSI... I am beginning to think it is just me because everything checks out good. My first set of 22" tires.

I will start looking for a set of 18's or maybe even a set of 20" Would be great if I could find a set on someone's new truck that wants to trade up.

Thanks for your input

:hmmm2:

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, because your tires have good tread life left does not mean they will handle good in rain...... I have 24's, 26's on the way and they handle no problem in rain, you just have ****** wet condition tires and that's all there is to it, the fact that they are 22's has nothing to do with it

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, because your tired have good tread life left does not mean they will handle good in rain...... I have 24's, 26's in the way and they handle no problem in rain, you just have ****** wet condition tires and that's all there is to it, the fact that they are 22's has nothing to do with it

Exactly this....running 22's or any diameter has no bearing on your vehicles handling in the rain. It's all your tire and what's designed for. Some tires handle wet roads better than others just like some are excellent in dry condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10