22" Tires in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there....

I am taking the family on their first real road trip this Christmas (technically New years) to WinterPark Colorado.

I grew up driving a Station wagon from So Cal to Alta Utah and Sun Valley.. not 4wd and maybe needed chains once.

My Yukon has 22in wheels, am I at risk of being stranded should they require chains at some point?

Anyone has real world experience with this truck with these wheels (stock AT tires) in the snow?

Colorado doesn't require you to use chains in bad snow storms unless you are a big rig. They just close the roads for a while out here until they get a handle on things if roads are real bad. There is a VERY LOW chance you get stuck at all in that vehicle out here. I have driven for 7 winters out here with just the stock AT tires. This is the first year I actually bought some snow tires. Main reason being I got the wife some for her G37X and it was out performing my truck in the snow and I was jealous. :jester:

vp46

Reaction score
Colorado doesn't require you to use chains in bad snow storms unless you are a big rig. They just close the roads for a while out here until they get a handle on things if roads are real bad. There is a VERY LOW chance you get stuck at all in that vehicle out here. I have driven for 7 winters out here with just the stock AT tires. This is the first year I actually bought some snow tires. Main reason being I got the wife some for her G37X and it was out performing my truck in the snow and I was jealous. :jester:

Thanks man and Hah! nice! I bought this truck for my wife..... I too am jealous but bite my tongue as I did it to myself ;)

I traded having a nicer rig for no less than:
1. 2005 CC SIlverado
2. 2013 Nissan Leaf (car pool sticker)
3. 1971 Dodge Demon
4. 2002 Mastercraft x-star

I'll be consolidating my car situation once the lease on the leaf is up in April.....not sure what I am going to do since that car pool sticker is pure luxury. It's as close as you can get at owning a practical flying car (almost).

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of 20" chrome Denali OEM wheels off of eBay. I'm sure the 22" would be fine, but the 20" will be much better riding on bad roads, and the taller sidewall will reduce the chance of bending the bead.

If you buy a second set and run them through the winter miles, you won't have to replace your 22" for years..

Last edited:

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about Severe Service (snow) tires when driving around in the snow. Also, during winter several of our mountain passes will have traction tires/tire chains required.

vp46

Reaction score
It's about Severe Service (snow) tires when driving around in the snow. Also, during winter several of our mountain passes will have traction tires/tire chains required.

Thanks everyone for chiming in - made it in 20hrs and had a blast driving in on the forest roads in untracked powder! (So so so fun)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daily Bread