22 Duramax/Windshield Washer Fluid Pumps don't work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

martinajm

Reaction score
Just to close the loop on this... I finally got around to taking the vehicle back tot he dealer. I needed an Oil Change, a recall / update, and to get the washer fluid pump replaced. The told me that I would need to leave it for 3 days for diagnostics! After some gentle pushing on my part, they had a tech come out and "diagnose" it with me for about 30 seconds. They then agree to do all of the work needed today. 3 hours later, I have it back and all is taken care of...

Lackland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 9 month old '22 Duramax SLT Yukon XL with about 22k miles. By far my favorite Yukon of the 4 that I have had. It has been extremely dry around here so I don't know how long this has been an issue, but neither front nor rear washer fluid pups are putting out any fluid. Reservoir is full. I have not tried to identify if the pumps are firing or not, indicating a blockage perhaps? Since it is both front and rear, that seems less likely though?

Has anyone experience this and have any insight? I certainly can take it in for warranty, but would like to avoid the hassle if avoidable.
I have a ‘22 duramax as well and just had to have the pump replaced due to it “being bad”.

BigJohn76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My rear windshield washer will not work. There is water getting to the connection underneath by the spare tire but no water will come out of either the rear wiper or rear camera. When I fill the reservoir and try the rear wiper water will start leaking just behind the front right tire. Then the reservoir will continue going down until it is empty. If I don’t try the rear washer the reservoir remains full. I think somehow it is leaking under the cowl where the rear line goes from the left side to the right side.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a broken fitting or split hose somewhere heading to the back.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear windshield washer will not work. There is water getting to the connection underneath by the spare tire but no water will come out of either the rear wiper or rear camera. When I fill the reservoir and try the rear wiper water will start leaking just behind the front right tire. Then the reservoir will continue going down until it is empty. If I don’t try the rear washer the reservoir remains full. I think somehow it is leaking under the cowl where the rear line goes from the left side to the right side.
There’s a handful of screws that hold the carpeted wheel well liner in. Unscrew them and you’ll get access to this area on the passenger side.

There’s a 90deg elbow right next to the frame. I’ll bet the one end of the connection came loose. Push it back on and put a zip-tie on it so it doesn’t come off again.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 3

BigJohn76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I figured out the problem. I removed the rear storage bin above the spare tire and the padded insulation was a little wet. I removed the tie downs on the right side trim and pulled it away from the wall a few inches. The washer hose had pulled out of a barbed fitting. I pushed it back together and wrapped the fitting with good electrical tape. Now the rear washers work great. I couldn’t figure out why there was water leaking on the ground just behind the front right tire before I found the pulled apart tubing. I have Weathertech floor mats in the entire vehicle. I pulled up the one in front of the rear seat and the carpet was wet. It was also wet in front of the middle seat and in front of the passenger front seat. The washer fluid was running all the way to the front of the vehicle and dripping on the ground right behind the front right tire. I pulled the mats out and all that is left to do is allow the carpet to dry. Such a simple fix for a major headache!