2022 z71 Valentine 1 power cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mirror wire harness it does not provide a full 12v it is only 8-10v and that makes the Valentine wig out.

the voltage in the mirror harness could have changed with the 21+, the 15-20's only have 8-10v to the mirror.

Wig out how?

Can anyone who has this harness confirm it runs ok in their '21+?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wig out how?

Can anyone who has this harness confirm it runs ok in their '21+?
wig out as in it will not operate properly on less than 12v, I deal with electronics all day long so wig out can mean a lot of things but from what I recall it would not boot properly and either hanged or just did weird stuff that is not normal operation, if you are familiar with how the v1 operates then you would see that is not working correctly if it has low voltage, at first I thought it must have took a dump I have ran V1's for the last 20+ years and they do eventually take a crap, but considering the cost of a replacement I decided to troubleshoot the problem and discovered the mirror harness was only supplying 8v on one wire and 10v on another wire and none had 12v, when I was initially probing for power I did not check the voltage and assumed it would be 12v since all previous models always had 12v, my thoughts on it are that GM in trying to make there vehicles more economical are lowering the voltage draw on the electronics so there is less demand on the alternator and thereby less torque demand on the motor, since 2007 they have incorporated more high speed lan and less wiring and are using more modules to send commands to separate components locally instead of running a string of wires they can use the digital high speed lan so 1 wire takes the place of 10 wires.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wig out as in it will not operate properly on less than 12v, I deal with electronics all day long so wig out can mean a lot of things but from what I recall it would not boot properly and either hanged or just did weird stuff that is not normal operation, if you are familiar with how the v1 operates then you would see that is not working correctly if it has low voltage, at first I thought it must have took a dump I have ran V1's for the last 20+ years and they do eventually take a crap, but considering the cost of a replacement I decided to troubleshoot the problem and discovered the mirror harness was only supplying 8v on one wire and 10v on another wire and none had 12v, when I was initially probing for power I did not check the voltage and assumed it would be 12v since all previous models always had 12v, my thoughts on it are that GM in trying to make there vehicles more economical are lowering the voltage draw on the electronics so there is less demand on the alternator and thereby less torque demand on the motor, since 2007 they have incorporated more high speed lan and less wiring and are using more modules to send commands to separate components locally instead of running a string of wires they can use the digital high speed lan so 1 wire takes the place of 10 wires.

OK, makes sense. I ran the wiring to a switched fuse (#26 on passenger side dash box IIRC) on my '21 Yukon. I was hoping to make the install simpler when my '22 comes in by just using this harness instead of running extra wiring. It seems like it works well for the couple people in this post so I'll give it a shot and bust out my multimeter.

tall cool thing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed this in my 2022 tahoe High country 3 months ago, with no problems. The people posting about potential issues misrepresent the problem. The blend mount selftap setup has caused issues in the corvette. Look at vortex radar on youtube, one of the best radar people on the earth. The gen 5 harness works great in the tahoe. The worst part is trying to stuff it back under the plastic cover. I have been completely satisfied with gen 5 radar harness. In fact, I just installed the harness for my 2020 camaro SS and it works great as well, actually easier to install than the tahoe. I understand doubeleive saying do it yourself with some wiring, but I am not the capable, so for me gen 5 radar harness did the trick.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Gen5diy harness worked great for me also. I used a cheaper ($30) below-mirror mount from Amazon since I didn't want to spend $100 on a blendmount. Works pretty well and the while the mount isn't as nice as the blendmount probably is, it gets the job done and cleans up my console area. I bought the harness with the pigtails and a voltage converter so I could also power my dashcam. Getting the cover back on was a total PITA.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gen5diy harness worked great for me also. I used a cheaper ($30) below-mirror mount from Amazon since I didn't want to spend $100 on a blendmount. Works pretty well and the while the mount isn't as nice as the blendmount probably is, it gets the job done and cleans up my console area. I bought the harness with the pigtails and a voltage converter so I could also power my dashcam. Getting the cover back on was a total PITA.
the blendmounts have gone up in price I only paid $60 for mine (20 years ago) lol, but it has been moved thru 3 different trucks, still rock solid, I think the 2nd one I bought had gone up to $89 probably 10 years ago for the other truck

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be going the harness route vs splicing. Will be looking to add a front/rear camera to the AT4 as well in the near future. So with that being said, for the Gen5DIY harness with optional leads, they make reference of needing a voltage converter. This is the F/R camera setup i'll be going with...I see in the description, its 12v...so I wont need to add on a voltage converter correct? I hope the 8meter cable will be long enough for my Yukon XL?

Much thanks :headbang:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be going the harness route vs splicing. Will be looking to add a front/rear camera to the AT4 as well in the near future. So with that being said, for the Gen5DIY harness with optional leads, they make reference of needing a voltage converter. This is the F/R camera setup i'll be going with...I see in the description, its 12v...so I wont need to add on a voltage converter correct? I hope the 8meter cable will be long enough for my Yukon XL?

Much thanks :headbang:
it's mini usb, so you will probably want something like this, has everything so you can just use a existing fuse and all you have to do is run the wire and attach the ground
I just used one myself to hook up a dashcam in the wifes burb.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's mini usb, so you will probably want something like this, has everything so you can just use a existing fuse and all you have to do is run the wire and attach the ground
I just used one myself to hook up a dashcam in the wifes burb.
Thank you sir.