2022 Yukon Tow Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to quickly report on the Tow Mode I used last night. We have a 2022 Yukon Denali 2WD. My boat and trailer are only about 3,000 lbs but I wanted to try the Tow Mode to see what difference it made. What I noticed was the transmission definitely stayed in a lower gear at all times. My cruising RPM was up around 1800 no matter what my actual speed was. That is the beauty of a 10 speed transmission. The drivetrain has a lot of options for optimizing speed, RPM, and torque output. When not in Tow Mode my RPM is always lower than that. Needless to say, it towed like a dream with that light load but burned a little more gas. I'm sure that I could do just fine in Normal drive mode with my little boat.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that the reason you should tow with the TH mode on is that the slightly higher RPM's helps to cool the components better. Also, the alternator puts out more which you will see on your battery volts gauge with the reasoning being you need more energy to run extra lights and brakes on the trailer. Also, the exhaust brake function becomes active in TH mode.

OP
OP
GMCnewbee

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to keep reading the Owner's Manual to pick up on some of these details. I forgot to mention that there is a noticeable difference in the shift points as well, they are a little higher, which makes sense.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the GMT900s, the owner's manual said that Tow/Haul doesn't provide a benefit unless you were at 75% or more of GCWR. Check your owner's manual for the shift schedule, pretty cool. My 2009s transmission shifts funny towing heavy without Tow/Haul activated, with it on, it feels normal.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 2nd tow with the new yukon yesterday. Small car hauler with a small car (mk2 jetta coupe) and power wise it was great, no worries at all. Made the rear sag pretty good so that will need to get addressed but the ride was smooth overall. Short tow, 17 miles exactly and got 13.4 mpg

Lakerider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following...boat season is coming and I'm around 5,000 lbs...

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
squat squat...Don't mind the pile of **** i'm hauling (parts car for my GTI) but I doubt that trailer and car weigh even 5k lbs

IMG_3998.JPG

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting Ive seen a few with a similar squat on the road. Last week saw a similar yukon hauling a 7 seater UTV with similar squat. Im guessing the load leveling is what causes the squat. Then again i saw a Tahoe earlier this week not hauling anything with a similar squat…

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting Ive seen a few with a similar squat on the road. Last week saw a similar yukon hauling a 7 seater UTV with similar squat. Im guessing the load leveling is what causes the squat. Then again i saw a Tahoe earlier this week not hauling anything with a similar squat…
With air ride there is no squat. I believe the rig pictured above does not have air ride. When I pull my enclose snowmobile trailer there is no squat, however, I have air ride which auto levels the vehicle with the extra weight.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With air ride there is no squat. I believe the rig pictured above does not have air ride. When I pull my enclose snowmobile trailer there is no squat, however, I have air ride which auto levels the vehicle with the extra weight.
Correct, I do not have air ride. I have the ZW7 suspension which is not ideal for towing as it's super soft. Level kit possibly makes the sagging a little worse. If I did any amount of regular towing or heavier towing this would not be the rig of choice