2022 Yukon Denali: Dealer Markup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bambler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase/order a brand new 2022 Yukon Denali, fully loaded, and the dealer I’m talking wants a $9k markup. I essentially told him no thanks.

Has anyone recently ordered or purchased something similar without a markup? I know the car market is tight, but that just seems ridiculous.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Talk to Polo08816..he is making it seem like you can order them at $300 above invoice anywhere lol

But in reality, you're going to be lucky to find dealers who are selling at sticker price...and actually has something available relatively soon.

Also - is this to place an order to build one? Or is this one that's been built and in transit to the dealer or currently at the dealer? If it is the latter, that is why there may be a heavy markup....inventory is non-existent and someone will eventually pay for it at that price.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase/order a brand new 2022 Yukon Denali, fully loaded, and the dealer I’m talking wants a $9k markup. I essentially told him no thanks.

Has anyone recently ordered or purchased something similar without a markup? I know the car market is tight, but that just seems ridiculous.

Talk to Polo08816..he is making it seem like you can order them at $300 above invoice anywhere lol

But in reality, you're going to be lucky to find dealers who are selling at sticker price...and actually has something available relatively soon.

Also - is this to place an order to build one? Or is this one that's been built and in transit to the dealer or currently at the dealer? If it is the latter, that is why there may be a heavy markup....inventory is non-existent and someone will eventually pay for it at that price.

How long are you willing to wait and are you willing to travel to take delivery?

OP
OP
B

Bambler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was essentially for both. He gave me a build list of vehicles that they already have on order and he would charge the markup on those. He did say that I can place an order for MSRP, but they will allocate to those who are paying more first and I could be waiting a long time…

How exactly does that work? If I place an order and we agree to a price, shouldn’t I be put in queue? That just seems weird to me versus what I’ve dealt with at other manufacturer.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
It was essentially for both. He gave me a build list of vehicles that they already have on order and he would charge the markup on those. He did say that I can place an order for MSRP, but they will allocate to those who are paying more first and I could be waiting a long time…

How exactly does that work? If I place an order and we agree to a price, shouldn’t I be put in queue? That just seems weird to me versus what I’ve dealt with at other manufacturer.

What you're saying makes me think this dealer is likely shafting people who actually placed an order for a car at MSRP ...by trying to get someone else to pay more and essentially selling it to the highest bidder.

Once they have an allocation, they place an order. If they are jumping your order for people who are willing to pay higher then MSRP, then there is a chance your order will never get place. Or once they do place your order, they market your car to someone else who's willing to pay over MSRP. At the end of the day, you don't start the buying process until the car is built and arrives. So they can be telling you when you order it it'll cost MSRP...but then the day comes to sign and they tell you there's a market adjustment....take it or leave it.

But just a heads up, if GM does not accept your order by the end of this month, you're likely going to have to wait for a 2023. The end of this month is the cutoff for GM to accept your order, if not it gets moved to a 2023. Those won't hit dealer lots until early Fall. If you need a car somewhat immediately, you may have to accept the markup. It's your wallet to determine what you think is excessive or not.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For the reasons he mentions below, I would avoid this dealership. Delivery time is generally tough to predict but if you may never even really know where you are in the queue... I'd pass.
What you're saying makes me think this dealer is likely shafting people who actually placed an order for a car at MSRP ...by trying to get someone else to pay more and essentially selling it to the highest bidder.

Once they have an allocation, they place an order. If they are jumping your order for people who are willing to pay higher then MSRP, then there is a chance your order will never get place. Or once they do place your order, they market your car to someone else who's willing to pay over MSRP. At the end of the day, you don't start the buying process until the car is built and arrives. So they can be telling you when you order it it'll cost MSRP...but then the day comes to sign and they tell you there's a market adjustment....take it or leave it.

But just a heads up, if GM does not accept your order by the end of this month, you're likely going to have to wait for a 2023. The end of this month is the cutoff for GM to accept your order, if not it gets moved to a 2023. Those won't hit dealer lots until early Fall. If you need a car somewhat immediately, you may have to accept the markup. It's your wallet to determine what you think is excessive or not.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $2,500 over MSRP (not bad from what ive seen Ford trying to get on Broncos over MSRP...$20-20k) from a dealership in WI for my Yukon XL AT4. Damn loan processor almost didnt approve it since "greatly" over invoice/MSRP. Told her to approve it or we're switching banks...nice to see she then followed suit with my request lol.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I paid $2,500 over MSRP (not bad from what ive seen Ford trying to get on Broncos over MSRP...$20-20k) from a dealership in WI for my Yukon XL AT4. Damn loan processor almost didnt approve it since "greatly" over invoice/MSRP. Told her to approve it or we're switching banks...nice to see she then followed suit with my request lol.
Wait a second...a $20k markup on a Ford Bronco? Don't they start at like $30k lol . That is absrudity.

OP
OP
B

Bambler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

That was my thought. Just seemed weird and unethical to do that. It’s truly lame for them to take my deposit and “place my order,” only to offer it to a higher bidder later.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
low miles used ones are bringing that type of price tag

depending on where you are located you could do a search on GMC's website for all the in transit ones that match what you are looking for and you never know what you may stumble across...could literally take about 15-20 mins of time emailing 10-15 dealerships...draft up a standard question and fire away on their website(s)

if no luck, then I'd call around to a few other "local to you" dealerships and ask about their waiting list / ordering requirements. it's a roll of the dice either way...good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645