2022 Tahoe w/ Max Trailer Pkg. Trailer Brake System Disabled, Needs Servicing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2022 Tahoe w/ Trailer pkg. I hooked up my camper this week and the Tahoe recognized the camper being hooked up and I saw the brake gain when I applied the brakes. Then after a moment the display read: Trailer Brake System Disabled, Needs Servicing and the brake gain stopped working. If I disconnect the camper and reconnect it goes through the same (works for a second then stops working).

The trailer lights work, just not the brakes. I took it into the dealership and they can read the codes to see this error message came up but said they hooked it up to a trailer they had at the dealership and it was fine. They said it may be my camper. My camper is a 2022 and I've used it a dozen times, the brake system worked fine with my previous vehicle. I had someone else hook up to it and they didn't have any issues.

Anyone else experience this?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There might not be enough of an electrical load for the controller to recognize the trailer. Or maybe there is a weak ground on either the truck or the trailer. See if this thread helps any:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

B_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Fless and WalleyeMikeIII.
The dealership called me late this afternoon and said the only thing they can think of is a faulty controller and ordered the part and will change it out. If the issue persists, they recommended I bring my Tahoe in with the camper connected so they can check it out.

Will post what I find out. Hopefully a simple fix.

topaq

Reaction score
I found that the GM integrated trailer brake controller on my 2019 Yukon is overly sensitive to changes in the gound. Not just lack of ground but also other pathways of ground. Discovered this on our last trip. Have an Equalizer WDH hitch and on a recent trip I didn't use the plastic pads on the L bracket for the bars. Some mild rust and some metal to metal contact that wasn't there when I used the pads. Major problems with Trailer Connected and No Trailer Detected alerts as well as Check Trailer Wiring. So the system detected an alternate ground and alerted. (All lights were working but had no trailer brakes) Put the pads back on and no more alerts. Brakes worked. BY the way prior to making this little change I spent hours trying to track down bad connections and ground. Even changed the plug on the trailer side as suggested by GM. Just a thought.

eshahak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2022 Tahoe w/ Trailer pkg. I hooked up my camper this week and the Tahoe recognized the camper being hooked up and I saw the brake gain when I applied the brakes. Then after a moment the display read: Trailer Brake System Disabled, Needs Servicing and the brake gain stopped working. If I disconnect the camper and reconnect it goes through the same (works for a second then stops working).

The trailer lights work, just not the brakes. I took it into the dealership and they can read the codes to see this error message came up but said they hooked it up to a trailer they had at the dealership and it was fine. They said it may be my camper. My camper is a 2022 and I've used it a dozen times, the brake system worked fine with my previous vehicle. I had someone else hook up to it and they didn't have any issues.

Anyone else experience this?
I have a 2021 Suburban and I'm having the same issue. I have taken it to the dealer 7 times now and each time they order a new part, change this, reboot that and nothing has worked. I have tried mine on my boat trailer, travel trailer and a uhaul. Each one has an issue with the connection. Its pretty dangerous when my trailer is going down the road without brakes. I would lemon law the thing if I wouldnt be getting screwed by doing it with car prices and interest rates. I dropped it off again on Monday and will update if they fix it this time.

OP
OP
B

B_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Suburban and I'm having the same issue. I have taken it to the dealer 7 times now and each time they order a new part, change this, reboot that and nothing has worked. I have tried mine on my boat trailer, travel trailer and a uhaul. Each one has an issue with the connection. Its pretty dangerous when my trailer is going down the road without brakes. I would lemon law the thing if I wouldnt be getting screwed by doing it with car prices and interest rates. I dropped it off again on Monday and will update if they fix it this time.
My Tahoe sat at the dealer for a week as they tried to figure out the issue. They said my programing was up to date and they couldn't find anything wrong. The service rep actually had his camper stored at a parking lot at the dealership and my brake control worked fine on his trailer. They decided to change out the brake controller to see if this would do it, and it worked. I've towed my trailer several times since the fix and it has worked.

eshahak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe sat at the dealer for a week as they tried to figure out the issue. They said my programing was up to date and they couldn't find anything wrong. The service rep actually had his camper stored at a parking lot at the dealership and my brake control worked fine on his trailer. They decided to change out the brake controller to see if this would do it, and it worked. I've towed my trailer several times since the fix and it has worked.
So this time they have had my suburban there for 3 weeks now and swear there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. They have hooked it up several times and it comes back fine. They want me to tow my trailer back home without brakes so they can test it and thats 4 hours without brakes on a 7k lbs trailer. No thanks. They said i could call GM.

ATrainTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im bumping this just for future visibility to others. I had this EXACT same problem with my 23 Yukon Denali max tow. I had an awful 500mile RT first tow experience with no trailer brakes. Got the Yukon into the dealer thinking this was going to be a disaster trying to identify if it was truck or trailer and to my surprise the dealer advised a live recall on my truck for this exact issue. They replaced “trailer brake controller switch” and from my testing now the trailer brakes on the vehicle are working without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401