2022 Tahoe/Coolant Temp light...and temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2022 Z71 Tahoe - 4k miles

Coolant temp light came on today....drove 20 mins , it sat for a couple hours, and then 10 mins into the 20 min drive home the coolant light came on. Coolant temp gauge (within the lower gauges) was fine. Made it home fine and restarted it and no light. sigh - ridiculous, went to look and see what the actual temp was and couldn't find it

Searched online, within the owners manual and messed around with all the gauges - no luck in finding the coolant temperature (as in the actual temp)

Owner's manual says there are two possible instrument clusters, "base level" and "up level"...up level apparently refers to the new cluster, which we have, and the coolant temp should be an option.

Our last option in the cluster is transmission fluid temp (which is where the base level cuts off) when we go in to select the different pages.

Anybody able to see their actual coolant temp?

link mentioning "up level"

1654482488516.png

1654482541421.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it should be in the dic just like it says in the manual, you have to go in as described in the upper page and select it (using the arrow buttons/thumbwheel), then back out and scroll thru up/down to see it.

OP
OP
T

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should be in the dic just like it says in the manual, you have to go in as described in the upper page and select it (using the arrow buttons/thumbwheel), then back out and scroll thru up/down to see it.

i'll ask the dealer and see what they can find out...menu options stops at transmission fluid...which is what is under the "base level" dic. maybe they have different levels of the new cluster. sign of times, $65k rig and can't tell what the coolant temp, oil temp or oil pressure actual is outside of a bar graph.

1654516906799.png

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i'll ask the dealer and see what they can find out...menu options stops at transmission fluid...which is what is under the "base level" dic. maybe they have different levels of the new cluster. sign of times, $65k rig and can't tell what the coolant temp, oil temp or oil pressure actual is outside of a bar graph.

View attachment 372069
I have the digital driver display system, which I assume is what the up level is referring to--the dash style. You either have the digital or the analog(?) meters. In the digital system, I had to go into the display settings where you select what shows on which side and I've got it set to show on the bottom left.

BUT why I'm here, the digital icon for the overheating light came on for me BUT my temperature was reading as just below middle-normal on the digital display. I pushed my blue OnStar button and they weren't able to find any diagnostic indicators from it, as I wasn't sure if that icon could indicate more than one thing.MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

jlemus07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the digital driver display system, which I assume is what the up level is referring to--the dash style. You either have the digital or the analog(?) meters. In the digital system, I had to go into the display settings where you select what shows on which side and I've got it set to show on the bottom left.

BUT why I'm here, the digital icon for the overheating light came on for me BUT my temperature was reading as just below middle-normal on the digital display. I pushed my blue OnStar button and they weren't able to find any diagnostic indicators from it, as I wasn't sure if that icon could indicate more than one thing.View attachment 380546
I had the same issue twice on my 2022 z71 tahoe. Dealer cant "replicate" the issue. Any luck for you? Thanks!

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a problem on a 2008 where the temp gauge stopped working, and there was a message about "temp unknown, possible overheating" or something similar. Turns out that the thermostat was not working properly, it was opening too soon, and the temp was too cold. The computer knew something was amiss, but not what, so it turned on the overheating message. Took a while to figure out that it needed a new thermostat, then the problem went away.

I wonder if a scan tool will help you diagnose it? should be able to see the coolant temp that way, at least.

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue twice on my 2022 z71 tahoe. Dealer cant "replicate" the issue. Any luck for you? Thanks!
No, it never happened again. I had just gotten done idling with the ac on, but it never indicated hot or anything, so it was odd.

Rich_v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had the same issue with our 22 Yukon tonight. What is interesting is the “light” remained illuminated even after turning it off.

Attachments

• 5C8779D8-04EB-4285-8E34-B20816E9003D.jpeg
    5C8779D8-04EB-4285-8E34-B20816E9003D.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2

rpearlberg

Reaction score
Just had the same issue with our 22 Yukon tonight. What is interesting is the “light” remained illuminated even after turning it off.
This just happened to me. Light was on when I started the Tahoe this morning and when I turned the car off the light stayed on. I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Can't really afford to not drive it today though.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say if the temp gauge stays in the middle (and seems to be responding — starts cool and warms up to normal operating conditions) you are probably fine. May pop the hood and look at the coolant reservoir to make sure coolant level is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon