2022 Suburban/Blinking CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about 1 year exactly into my 2022 Suburban RST 6.2. It has 21K miles. Last week one night i felt it bogging with light throttle (AFM activated) and get a blinking CEL. It continued every time I gave it throttle until I turned it off and it hasn't done it again. I assumed the lifters were about to crater, literally and figuratively. Its due for an oil change at the dealer, any advise as to what to say?

It was a difficult decision to buy this truck, especially without being able to test drive one. I love the power and handling, but the techno-wizardry has not grown on me, and coming to this site and reading about all of the problems is downright scary. I am still going through periods of regret and this is not helping.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the CEL is still not on, there will be a stored code. Mention it to your dealer and ask them what codes they find.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flashing CEL is a misfire. If your not happy sell it while it still has value and get something else. Life's too short.

Techno wizardry? Lol. I think im too young for this forum.

Last edited:

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
21k and a year old means it's still under warranty. Just take it to the dealer.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently had the fuel pump control module replaced on our yukon with 21K miles on it. Took a week for the service department to get to it but once they did it was diagnosed and fixed in a couple days. That was our 2nd warranty visit to the dealer since buying it new but overall I believe these rigs are not nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flashing CEL is a misfire. If your not happy sell it while it still has value and get something else. Life's too short.

Techno wizardry? Lol. I think im too young for this forum.

I am a 46 year old luddite. And I am cheap. I tried to unload the truck when I got it but could not bring myself to eat the sales tax. Sometimes I think I am too critical of this truck (in my head). I love the power and the handling of the independent rear suspension, but I don't like the tech. If I did it over, I would probably have gotten a straight rust free GMT400 or 800 3/4 ton truck and built myself a fully custom truck with an LS3 for at least 20K less than this truck. But that's a time consuming endeavor (I have already done one so I know how much time is involved). Water under the bridge at this point.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a 46 year old luddite. And I am cheap. I tried to unload the truck when I got it but could not bring myself to eat the sales tax. Sometimes I think I am too critical of this truck (in my head). I love the power and the handling of the independent rear suspension, but I don't like the tech. If I did it over, I would probably have gotten a straight rust free GMT400 or 800 3/4 ton truck and built myself a fully custom truck with an LS3 for at least 20K less than this truck. But that's a time consuming endeavor (I have already done one so I know how much time is involved). Water under the bridge at this point.
I too, sometimes long for a simpler time where I had 6 physical preset buttons on the radio and a volume knob.
But, I must admit, I do like the wireless CarPlay, and it has been relatively flawless; as has the rest of my Denali; which is loaded w/ every option except RSE and the Trailer cameras.
The ride is amazing, the handling really good for the land yacht that it is, the 6.2's power is fun to drive, if not spirited, it tows my boat like a dream, and is a comfortable place to be on the road; this winter w/ the Blizzaks on, its very confident on the snowy/icy roads of Minnesota.

The google maps are nice, and the display is great; but there is part of me that wishes I wasn't married to a Cellular Data plan and big brother google watching over me to have it all work...but; it is 2023, and these are the times we live in.

Generally I am very satisfied w/ my vehidle overall; the somewhat buggy infotainment aside; it works well most of the time....All the cars are getting loaded w/ tech; sometimes it is borderline overwhelming...but after a year of ownership, I am at peace w/ my decision to buy, and am a good groove of using the vehicle for what I need it for, and have learned to navigate around the few annoying bugs that exist.

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped it off at the dealer this AM. The service tech told me "the blinking CEL is usually the kiss of death" but it has run ok for the last week. I'm not gonna lie though, I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of my '98 while this truck is in the shop. It doesn't have any annoying bugs I have to live with...

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too, sometimes long for a simpler time where I had 6 physical preset buttons on the radio and a volume knob.
But, I must admit, I do like the wireless CarPlay, and it has been relatively flawless; as has the rest of my Denali; which is loaded w/ every option except RSE and the Trailer cameras.
The ride is amazing, the handling really good for the land yacht that it is, the 6.2's power is fun to drive, if not spirited, it tows my boat like a dream, and is a comfortable place to be on the road; this winter w/ the Blizzaks on, its very confident on the snowy/icy roads of Minnesota.

The google maps are nice, and the display is great; but there is part of me that wishes I wasn't married to a Cellular Data plan and big brother google watching over me to have it all work...but; it is 2023, and these are the times we live in.

Generally I am very satisfied w/ my vehidle overall; the somewhat buggy infotainment aside; it works well most of the time....All the cars are getting loaded w/ tech; sometimes it is borderline overwhelming...but after a year of ownership, I am at peace w/ my decision to buy, and am a good groove of using the vehicle for what I need it for, and have learned to navigate around the few annoying bugs that exist.
Use Apple Maps instead, they don't spy on you like Google does.

Suburban2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Could this be related to the fuel you usually pump into the tank? I am 44 and cheap too on any commodities on sale. So I understand you. This 6.2 engine requires premium due to high compression ratio.