2022/2023 Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crankin

Reaction score
Hello everyone new here to the forum but have done lots of reading over the last couple of months. I have a couple questions about the towing on these Yukon/Tahoe.

I have had an order in since March and still waiting on dealer allocation and constraint issues. Ordered a 2022 Yukon or Yukon XL with the 3.0 duramax. and aware it will be changed to a 2023

Is it safe to assume not loosing much if I couldn't get the tow package as they are on constraint. I think all I'm loosing is the brake controller which can add aftermarket, and the gadgets like hitch guidance, trailer blind spot. I believe the 3.0 does not require the additional transmission cooler is that correct?

The rated towing capacity for the Yukon xl is 7700lbs and the rated capacity for the Yukon is 7900lbs. Has anyone towed travel trailers weighing in the area of 6000-7200lbs? I will have a weight distribution hitch, brake controller, and most likely will add some airbags for the guaranteed sag.

thoughts would be great. Thanks

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will lose the trailering app, and the ability to add trailer tire pressure sensors...as well as capability to add a trailer camera, all of which might be something you want to consider.
I would have loved to be able to add a trailer camera...but I mostly tow a boat, and it doesn't lend itself well for mounting on a boat trailer. A travel trailer is tailor made for the rear trailer cam.
TFL Truck web site has some pretty good videos/demos towing to max capacity w/ both the 6.2L and the BabyMax...they seem to like both...
Brakes are for sure a requirement, and I personally would prefer to use the integrated controller...I think it integrates w/ the ABS, but not totally sure, vs aftermarket which will not.

OP
OP
crankin

crankin

Reaction score
You will lose the trailering app, and the ability to add trailer tire pressure sensors...as well as capability to add a trailer camera, all of which might be something you want to consider.
I would have loved to be able to add a trailer camera...but I mostly tow a boat, and it doesn't lend itself well for mounting on a boat trailer. A travel trailer is tailor made for the rear trailer cam.
TFL Truck web site has some pretty good videos/demos towing to max capacity w/ both the 6.2L and the BabyMax...they seem to like both...
Brakes are for sure a requirement, and I personally would prefer to use the integrated controller...I think it integrates w/ the ABS, but not totally sure, vs aftermarket which will not.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I will loose those gadgets, would be nice to have but also not required. I'm getting sick of waiting and if its not required I'm going to have to pass on it. But yes I would prefer to have it. I 100% would prefer the integrated brake controller but if tow package isn't available I was going to pass and install a Curt Spectrum controller which was suggested by the dealer if all else fails.
Best case scenario I want all of it but like mentioned I would like to see the vehicle here sooner then later

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not missing out on anything except some extra trailering infotainment stuff and the integrated brake controller. I use the Curt bluetooth controller and it works great, and I can use it on any truck.

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't ABS on trailers as there isn't a signal for wheel speed to know when the wheels have locked.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I will loose those gadgets, would be nice to have but also not required. I'm getting sick of waiting and if its not required I'm going to have to pass on it. But yes I would prefer to have it. I 100% would prefer the integrated brake controller but if tow package isn't available I was going to pass and install a Curt Spectrum controller which was suggested by the dealer if all else fails.
Best case scenario I want all of it but like mentioned I would like to see the vehicle here sooner then later
The integrated controller is worth waiting for, IMHO. It is integrated with the stability control system and will automatically engage the trailer brakes to control sway, such as in an emergency avoidance situation. I have the system in my 2012 Yukon XL Denali and it works. It's literally a lifesaving piece of equipment, in my opinion, if you plan to tow.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All trims come standard with trailer sway control, as all the trucks come with trailer hitch and 7pin hook up. It is independent of the trailer brake controller.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All trims come standard with trailer sway control, as all the trucks come with trailer hitch and 7pin hook up. It is independent of the trailer brake controller.
This is true only for unbraked trailers. For trailers with electrically operated brakes, the system goes a step further: The factory trailer brake controller is integrated with the Stabilitrak system and can also apply the trailer brakes to help get the sway under control.

From the 2021 GMC Yukon owners manual, page 294:

1657139758628.png

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would definitely not compromise on the brake controller if towing is a thing for you. I don't even towing yet but didn't want to give up on that option. I would have rather sacrificed another feature than the integrated towing brake controller. Sure, you can get aftermarket stuff but it will always be what it is: a compromise and never that comfortable and featureful as with the OEM Brake controller from factory. Also, AFAIK you get a bigger radiant with the Advanced Trailering Package which is even with no towing a very good thing to have. Your drivetrain will appreciate it.

Mrdave77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone new here to the forum but have done lots of reading over the last couple of months. I have a couple questions about the towing on these Yukon/Tahoe.

I have had an order in since March and still waiting on dealer allocation and constraint issues. Ordered a 2022 Yukon or Yukon XL with the 3.0 duramax. and aware it will be changed to a 2023

Is it safe to assume not loosing much if I couldn't get the tow package as they are on constraint. I think all I'm loosing is the brake controller which can add aftermarket, and the gadgets like hitch guidance, trailer blind spot. I believe the 3.0 does not require the additional transmission cooler is that correct?

The rated towing capacity for the Yukon xl is 7700lbs and the rated capacity for the Yukon is 7900lbs. Has anyone towed travel trailers weighing in the area of 6000-7200lbs? I will have a weight distribution hitch, brake controller, and most likely will add some airbags for the guaranteed sag.

thoughts would be great. Thanks
I have a 2021 Tahoe RsT Duramax. The biggest downfall when towing my 27 foot travel trailer is the Sag. You can not add an airbag since the shock is in the coil spring. I have been checking for 2 years and the only fix is a stiffer rear coil. It will take the ride quality away. If i could of done it differently, i would of bought one with the air suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros