2021 Yukon Denali - Correction, the "40w pulling the battery down" was misread of clamp meter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***I apologize for posting a completely wrong battery draw reading***
It's actually 2-3w.

I recently bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali with middle package. I drive once a week. Noticed the battery seemed really low and started measuring it at 12.0v - 12.1v. Thought it was weak (used car and all) and installed a new battery.

But still showing 12.0v after just a few days from the last drive.

I manually charged it to 12.8v and put a clamp meter on the negative and it's been pulling 3.3a = ~40watts for the last 3 hrs. If this continues it will be low within a day.

Saw a youtube suggesting that 0.4a (400ma) is more normal but I don't know. Is 3a (40w) draw normal for a 2021 with everything (seemingly) off?

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be. Generally the computers should all go to sleep, at the latest, after the RAP (retained accessory power) says nobody is still here (usually 15-30min).

I think you have a module/ecm staying awake for no reason.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@B-train - thank you for replaying... got me to thinking about what could be on with the vehicle off.

Turn off the wi-fi hotspot but that didn't seem to help.

Last edited:

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont happen to keep your key fobs nearby the vehicle when at home do you? I thought i read that if they are close they can keep waking up the vehicle. But dont know how true that is as i have one about 10 feet away at most on inside of door to house from garage and have not had any issues.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont happen to keep your key fobs nearby the vehicle when at home do you? I thought i read that if they are close they can keep waking up the vehicle. But dont know how true that is as i have one about 10 feet away at most on inside of door to house from garage and have not had any issues.
Thank you for the thought - but no, the fobs are 50ft away in the house.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
The computers dont all go to sleep it is always monitoring the vehicle. The alternator only charges the battery when it needs to so what your seeing as 12v is pretty normal sometimes you will see it drop below 12v when the alternator doesnt need to charge the battery at all while your driving.

Steve Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali with middle package. I drive once a week. Noticed the battery seemed really low and started measuring it at 12.0v - 12.1v. Thought it was weak (used car and all) and installed a new battery.

But still showing 12.0v after just a few days from the last drive.

I manually charged it to 12.8v and put a clamp meter on the negative and it's been pulling 3.3a = ~40watts for the last 3 hrs. If this continues it will be low within a day.

Saw a youtube suggesting that 0.4a (400ma) is more normal but I don't know. Is 3a (40w) draw normal for a 2021 with everything (seemingly) off?

Unhook all of the wires going to the alternator, and remeasure the current. It sounds like you might have a shorted rectifier diode in your alternator.

OP
OP
tagexpcom

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks, I was completely wrong in my initial post. I was misreading the clamp meter!
The actual draw is ~2-3w. 2.5w/12.2v = 200ma or 0.2a. I understand that 0.2a (200ma) is more in range with what's expected.

False alarm on my part - I apologize.

However, after a week this does draw the battery down toward 12.0v which is pretty low - but perhaps this is nothing to worry about? Interested in opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19