2021 Tahoe wireless CarPlay not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sweinhart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue. When I purchased the vehicle everything worked fine. I don't know if GM changed something but a few months ago it stopped working. Everything works fine if it's plugged in via lightning cable, and I can stream music and make calls in my vehicle via bluetooth, but maps/screen projection stopped working unless its plugged in via usb. I've talked to Apple, Onstar, the local dealer, and no one has been able to fix.

The issue was verified on multiple iPhones including 12 and 14. I'm pretty sure GM sent an ota update that broke this functionality, but I'm interested in knowing if other people have this issue.

Last edited:

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
By any chance is your in vehicle WiFi hot spot disabled? I noticed the other day in my 21’ Suburban that if I disabled hotspot, wireless CarPlay will also stop working.

I disabled the hotspot as I don’t use it for connectivity but it’s clearly a dependency for wireless CarPlay to work. I’m kind of curious what will happen when my OnStar sub expires mid month and whether they will disable hotspot.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing as the previous post. If you disable WiFi it not only disabled the hotspot on the vehicle but also kills off CarPlay since that also uses Wi-Fi. Ran into the same problem.

OP
OP
S

sweinhart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I only had onstar data plan for the 1st 3 months. Wireless carplay worked long after my data plan expired and only stopped working maybe 2-3 months ago. I looked at the settings but didn't look like hot spot could be enabled without data plan. You never have to connect your phone to the in-vehicle wifi for connection, at least there is no documentation to do such a thing.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try forgetting your vehicle on the phone and reconnecting it? Ie: delete the phone from the vehicle in the infotainment system. And, navigate to Settings -> CarPlay and select your vehicle and forget it.

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
I only had onstar data plan for the 1st 3 months. Wireless carplay worked long after my data plan expired and only stopped working maybe 2-3 months ago. I looked at the settings but didn't look like hot spot could be enabled without data plan. You never have to connect your phone to the in-vehicle wifi for connection, at least there is no documentation to do such a thing.

Right, it's not intuitive that the iOS device is making a WiFi connection to the vehicle when connecting to wireless CarPlay. However, when it connects, you'll see on your iPhone that the WiFi icon/connection is in-use, it'll be greyed out. If you attempt to "enable" WiFi on the iPhone, it'll tell you that it's in-use and connected to the vehicles SSID.

I would try and test it here but I still have a OnStar sub for the next couple weeks till it cancels out.

What are others who do not have an active OnStar internet sub see on their screens for hotspot? Is your wireless CarPlay still working?

Morales1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I actually just took mine into the dealership for this very issue. Both mine and the wife’s are having car play issues… furthermore mine is having on star issues.

white15

Reaction score
Following. Mine is now having the same issue.. worked almost perfect for a year…..

Joeschmidt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely curious on this out come.. I’ve had similar issues. It will be working fine, then all the music stops and a screen comes up saying” device restarting”. Then it will all connect and do it all over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts