2021 Tahoe RST Abismal mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so my wife and I have been messing around with it and today we took a 10 mile trip on the Northern state toward Huntington and back (since you are clearly a fellow LI guy), computer calculated average MPG at nearly 11 mpg up from 9.8mpg just from about 20 minutes of highway driving. I think we figured out the issue. When my wife picks up the kids from school this year, she has to sit in a car line for up to 30 minutes and while the auto-shutoff kicks in for a while, since the A/C is running, the engine actually runs most of that time. So I think it's the idling that's killing the mpg. We have this 1,300 mile trip planned about a month from now and I am going to get the oil changed and everything topped up before then. We will see what 1,300 miles of I-95 driving does. I will report back my findings.

You need a little more distance than 10 miles. 30 will give you what you need but you must zero it out and not drive in stop and go traffic. I was always a city guy (Queens) but constantly went out to LI to eat.

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is in no way normal. IDK about GM "leaving chips out of the fuel management system" that just sounds like FUD. I mean its not like they can not install a microchip, and the car functions as normal but with HALF the MPG.

I have had two 5.3s and I average with a mix of driving 18-22mpg.

Maybe you got some of the "winter mix" gas with higher ethonol which would reduce mileage but even than it shouldn't be that low. As other people have stated, the 1000mile thing from the dealer is absolutely POINTLESS and is just pushing off the problem 2000 miles down the road in helps it solves itself. I would not use that dealership anymore. Also if you still can't get a good answer I would contact GM customer service direct.

The only thing I could guess, if it was a mechanical issue would be a possible botched break-in? In which it should be burning oil, smoking and/or possibly leaking when parked. Either way, I run E85 in both of my cars, pretty much 75-100% of the time and I still get 14-16mpg in the PPV and almost 19mpg in the V.

Not "FUD". Read up on it. As of now, there is nothing mentioned of this being done with SUV's, but it was with half tons.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you got some of the "winter mix" gas with higher ethonol which would reduce mileage but even than it shouldn't be that low. As other people have stated, the 1000mile thing from the dealer is absolutely POINTLESS and is just pushing off the problem 2000 miles down the road in helps it solves itself. I would not use that dealership anymore. Also if you still can't get a good answer I would contact GM customer service direct.

The only thing I could guess, if it was a mechanical issue would be a possible botched break-in? In which it should be burning oil, smoking and/or possibly leaking when parked. Either way, I run E85 in both of my cars, pretty much 75-100% of the time and I still get 14-16mpg in the PPV and almost 19mpg in the V.

Winter mix is LESS ethanol, not more.

Dustin Mustangs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, so my wife and I have been messing around with it and today we took a 10 mile trip on the Northern state toward Huntington and back (since you are clearly a fellow LI guy), computer calculated average MPG at nearly 11 mpg up from 9.8mpg just from about 20 minutes of highway driving. I think we figured out the issue. When my wife picks up the kids from school this year, she has to sit in a car line for up to 30 minutes and while the auto-shutoff kicks in for a while, since the A/C is running, the engine actually runs most of that time. So I think it's the idling that's killing the mpg. We have this 1,300 mile trip planned about a month from now and I am going to get the oil changed and everything topped up before then. We will see what 1,300 miles of I-95 driving does. I will report back my findings.

You are definitely idling this thing a ton or just sitting in traffic with it. You stated earlier 160 hours at 1,500 miles. Just think about that math, you are averaging under 10 miles per hour of engine use. That is incredibly low and possibly low to the point of causing problems with the engine. They are not designed to just sit at idle. For comparison, mine ('21 rst) has 200 hours on the engine and I am just over 7k miles. This includes plenty of city driving, winter warm ups with remote start, and daily car line pickup for the kids at two different schools.

I have also been disappointed with mileage but that is at 14-15, not 8. I started keeping the little mileage thing up on the information display and, by watching what it likes and doesn't as I drive, have been able to get the same trips up to 20 and extended driving under ideal speeds up to 26. A couple of things I have found to help:

Coast into your stops. My habit previously was gas or brake, rarely neither. Coast into slower speed limit zones, coast half your speed off when coming up to a stop sign/light, coast when slowing for a vehicle ahead of you traveling at a lower speed. This one makes a really big difference.

Don't sit in park with the engine running unless you are warming it up. The 5.3 guzzles gas at idle and this vehicle is surprisingly good at holding interior temp with the engine off so what is the point? This also means don't disable the autostop. That feature really makes a difference around town and it is pretty easy to adjust to.

This one might surprise some, but I get better mileage with a heavier foot. If I accelerate slowly up to my desired speed I actually get worse mileage vs accelerating with authority up to the same speed. Not flooring it, but maybe 1/2 throttle or a bit below. Plus it is fun and the engine sounds great when driven like that.

Again, this is with the same truck, 2021 rst with the 5.3, although I took delivery in November so maybe they are building them different now due to the chip shortage? FWIW, I just got our 8k pound boat out of storage and towed it 35 miles into a slight headwind that included two towns worth of city driving. I averaged just over 10mpg.

Last edited:

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have the main objective sorted out i feel i can be a smart ass now..
Fellow "wrong islander" here.. So... another coward leaving our great Island? Well, don't worry there's plenty more of us heading down that way when retirement kicks in.
Save me some sunshine... when's the Garage sale.?
Best of luck Mate.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excessive idling , short trips, A/C or defrost running all the time are big factors. I will say a Prayer for you , the roads around here are crazy and getting worse. NSP is like a road race course.

OP
OP
revengejr

revengejr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since you have the main objective sorted out i feel i can be a smart ass now..
Fellow "wrong islander" here.. So... another coward leaving our great Island? Well, don't worry there's plenty more of us heading down that way when retirement kicks in.
Save me some sunshine... when's the Garage sale.?
Best of luck Mate.
LOL, the garage sale was this past weekend, sorry. I'm not even 40 yet so we decided not to wait until we were too old to enjoy the better quality of life, lower taxes, and better climate. If it matters, while my wife is from here, I am not so I have no strong ties. Market caused house value to skyrocket to the point of "make me move" kind of $.

OP
OP
revengejr

revengejr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excessive idling , short trips, A/C or defrost running all the time are big factors. I will say a Prayer for you , the roads around here are crazy and getting worse. NSP is like a road race course.
What, you don't like those craters in between the lanes? They should have signs about changing lanes at your own risk.

OP
OP
revengejr

revengejr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What, you don't like those craters in between the lanes? They should have signs about changing lanes at your own risk.

djvinevibez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Tahoe was getting 14-16mpg, but just upgrade to the 21 RST diesel and it’s light years better in fuel economy which is why I went diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076