2021 Tahoe HC Transmission failure @600miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread. Just had my transmission "reprogrammed" on Friday per TSB 16-NA-019. Which I find odd because that TSB appears to be for model years 2016 - 2017, but that's what it shows on service report. Of course, I have no clue how TSBs work..
View attachment 256856

Below are some other items from Fridays service. They were able to fix my park assist by reprogramming the
PACM.
View attachment 256862
That's odd, I'm hoping there's no other issues with this car ![emoji2363]

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when this had happening to an entire new series of Chevy Silverados decades ago. My Dad who worked at GM Powertrain and was a reliability engineer and metallurgist . He flew down to the plant that made the control modules for the transmission. He discovered one of the employees was not changing drill bits once they got dull in order to save time. The dull drill bit was producing small metal shavings instead of large curly ones. Those metal shavings made their way into the control module and stopped the vehicles dead in their tracks multiple times on multiple vehicles. Needless to say it was a big deal but a very easy fix. Hopefully GM can solve this issue asap.

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I remember when this had happening to an entire new series of Chevy Silverados decades ago. My Dad who worked at GM Powertrain and was a reliability engineer and metallurgist . He flew down to the plant that made the control modules for the transmission. He discovered one of the employees was not changing drill bits once they got dull in order to save time. The dull drill bit was producing small metal shavings instead of large curly ones. Those metal shavings made their way into the control module and stopped the vehicles dead in their tracks multiple times on multiple vehicles. Needless to say it was a big deal but a very easy fix. Hopefully GM can solve this issue asap.
WOW, that's both mind-blowing, and incredible! Mind blowing the fact that somebody could be that lazy and cause so many problems. Incredible that your dad was able to pinpoint the source from so many possible sources! That's badass! [emoji1434] I imagine your dad's response to the person responsible was like the uncle from home alone. [emoji23] Look what you did you little jerk! although I bet it was a lot more vulgar.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's both mind-blowing, and incredible! Mind blowing the fact that somebody could be that lazy and cause so many problems. Incredible that your dad was able to pinpoint the source from so many possible sources! That's badass! [emoji1434] I imagine your dad's response to the person responsible was like the uncle from home alone. [emoji23] Look what you did you little jerk! although I bet it was a lot more vulgar.

If my memory serves I remember him telling me it was a training issue. The employee running the machine did not understand that smaller shavings could have dire effects on the transmission operation. It was a good catch and my Dad's early days with GM making pinion gears paid off :) LOL

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Haha, I'm thinking mine was built on a Friday afternoon with Covid-19 temporary workers....

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: finally got the Tahoe back with 653 MI after their test drive. Service advisor gave us a warning before handing the keys over. He said that the one two shift is going to be really hard for a little while, until everything settles, and the trans "relearns" how to shift again. I found that a bit odd, so I asked him why. he stated because it's a brand new electronic valve body and the transmission was completely flushed of fluid and refilled with "better" fluid. He said he was told by the troubleshooters that it is normal. Not sure I completely agree with that because we got the car with 20 miles on it, and it ran just fine, until it didn't. [emoji2363]

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: finally got the Tahoe back with 653 MI after their test drive. Service advisor gave us a warning before handing the keys over. He said that the one two shift is going to be really hard for a little while, until everything settles, and the trans "relearns" how to shift again. I found that a bit odd, so I asked him why. he stated because it's a brand new electronic valve body and the transmission was completely flushed of fluid and refilled with "better" fluid. He said he was told by the troubleshooters that it is normal. Not sure I completely agree with that because we got the car with 20 miles on it, and it ran just fine, until it didn't. [emoji2363]

That is great news. Keep us posted on how it works out.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, you’re absolutely right. 100% of the time my gut and just generally “passing the smell” test has been more accurate than whatever reasoning the service advisers are going to feed you...

I would just continue to drive it as they have directed and probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to check your trans fluid levels every so many miles. If after a full tank of gas that 1-2 shift is still “hard”. It’d be taking it back...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

It was years ago but I have heard of a fresh trans or a rebuilt trans or even when a valve body is replaced, that there is a relearn process. IMO, that should be not happening now but what the hell do I know! I have heard the same thing when ECM had been replaced. The theory is that the relearn process is needed to help adapt to the way it is driven because different drivers drive differently. I have experienced that myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n