2021 Tahoe HC Transmission failure @600miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought end of July, drove lightly due to break in period. Wife was driving and it began revving high and cut power, slowed down,, and CEL came on. She was able to drive it home. We let it sit over night thinking it was a fluke. I hadn't experienced it so I tried the next day to drive it and it did the same thing to me. Took it home and tried to reverse in the driveway but got stuck in the middle of the street because reverse stopped working. had to drive it to the dealership because they weren't able to come pick it up that day and we were leaving for vacation. Dealer initially told us the transmission needed to be replaced! Needless to say my wife and I were EXTREMELY upset. A few days later, we were told it was a valve body in the trans and they ordered one from GM. When it FINALLY came, it apparently wouldn't program. [emoji2363] Waiting on new valve body and HOPING it works. Sorry for the wall of text, just had to vent!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is terrifying. Please keep us updated on how long it takes the dealer to get it all fixed and back to you.

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely will! I'm hoping to hear something ASAP, really missing the ride. GM did a great job on the restyle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Apparently any restyle they did on the trans was not so good. If they did not do a restyle on that trans, then they should have parts readily available. I HATE dealing with dealers. I have actually had good transactions with many dealers but then the bad one ruins it for me.

The bad ones give you the run around and just say what they think you want to hear and have excuses at the ready from their "Dealer Excuse Book".

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah I'd be pissed.
You have no idea, lol. Luckily my wife has an extremely calm demeanor, which counterbalances my anger. Our Tahoe is only the second one the dealer has sold in our area, So I cut them a bit of slack, considering that, and the fact it's a brand new everything model

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apparently any restyle they did on the trans was not so good. If they did not do a restyle on that trans, then they should have parts readily available. I HATE dealing with dealers. I have actually had good transactions with many dealers but then the bad one ruins it for me.

The bad ones give you the run around and just say what they think you want to hear and have excuses at the ready from their "Dealer Excuse Book".
I absolutely agree, luckily this dealer is an expert in selling, and working on vettes, so there is a degree of professionalism from them and a degree of trust from our end [emoji1417]

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread. Just had my transmission "reprogrammed" on Friday per TSB 16-NA-019. Which I find odd because that TSB appears to be for model years 2016 - 2017, but that's what it shows on service report. Of course, I have no clue how TSBs work..
upload_2020-9-8_15-9-1.png

Below are some other items from Fridays service. They were able to fix my park assist by reprogramming the
PACM.
upload_2020-9-8_15-11-14.png

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ran shops and was in the auto repair industry for close to 40 years. I told people all the time that if you find a dealer or shop you like, stick with them. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere.
Sound advice from an expert! Could not agree more, had an issue with a couple dealers by me, years ago, and it's kept me from ever purchasing from them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645