2020 sluggish throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docster

Reaction score
We have a sluggish throttle response in our 2020. Any quick way to reset what it’s learned? In my f150 I can turn to accessory, depress throttle fully and slowly release. After 2-3 times it’s like a new truck. Anything for this?

2020 Yukon XL SLE

George100

Reaction score
Gm decided to make this sluggish throttle a 'design element' in saving fuel, so you are not the only one that has this 'feature' The previous years had a device you can plug in called a 'pedal commander' which 'woke' the truck up. Other choices were different tunes as well. Yours being a 20, there may not be anything yet to help you. Just check the different tuning sites and see if your model year is available, there is no other way to change this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how sluggish are we talking? won't accelerate very fast? revs slow?
I have the l83 in my silverado which will be the same engine you have unless you have 6.2 l86 which will operate the same
even with a ported throttle body, cai, exhaust and a blackbear tune to me it revs slow, I mean it will do a little burnout and all that but the engine rev's slow it goes up ok but takes longer to go down in rpm

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gm decided to make this sluggish throttle a 'design element' in saving fuel, so you are not the only one that has this 'feature' The previous years had a device you can plug in called a 'pedal commander' which 'woke' the truck up. Other choices were different tunes as well. Yours being a 20, there may not be anything yet to help you. Just check the different tuning sites and see if your model year is available, there is no other way to change this.

Those do not really do much. They take your 10% input and tell the computer its 20%. You get the same effect from just pushing the throttle harder yourself as they still cant go past 100%. Save the money and just push the pedal more yourself.

how sluggish are we talking? won't accelerate very fast? revs slow?
I have the l83 in my silverado which will be the same engine you have unless you have 6.2 l86 which will operate the same
even with a ported throttle body, cai, exhaust and a blackbear tune to me it revs slow, I mean it will do a little burnout and all that but the engine rev's slow it goes up ok but takes longer to go down in rpm

This. Same with my L83. It still "slow" but the blackbear tune made the most notable difference for the easiest change. Backing off the torque management and tuning the trans may make him happy. I myself have a lot more planned but the tune will be far better than a throttle spoofer.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those do not really do much. They take your 10% input and tell the computer its 20%. You get the same effect from just pushing the throttle harder yourself as they still cant go past 100%. Save the money and just push the pedal more yourself.

This. Same with my L83. It still "slow" but the blackbear tune made the most notable difference for the easiest change. Backing off the torque management and tuning the trans may make him happy. I myself have a lot more planned but the tune will be far better than a throttle spoofer.

This site needs an upvote and a downvote button...

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust/CAI/black bear tune made some huge improvements over stock, but the K&N throttle control module was the icing on the cake. I have it turned a little more than halfway up and it is instantaneous acceleration on the gas pedal.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A throttle fooler is just that...IT FOOLS YOU.

like stated, at 20% input, it can feel like 90% if chosen.

Who ever spent money one one after a BB tune...was wasting money. BB could have changed that, if so heavily desired.

It does nothing for overall performance.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A throttle fooler is just that...IT FOOLS YOU.

like stated, at 20% input, it can feel like 90% if chosen.

Who ever spent money one one after a BB tune...was wasting money. BB could have changed that, if so heavily desired.

It does nothing for overall performance.

There's no "fooling you" about it. It increases throttle sensativity... I agree, no performance benefit and I'd never claim as such, but it does allow the driver to precisely adjust/dial in how sensative the throttle is at any given time by the simple turn of a knob. the blackbear tune alone does not allow for such instantaneous adjustment. Furthermore, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it was a waste of money. I enjoy the blackbear tune, but enjoy it more with the module installed. OP said he had a sluggish throttle, the module will improve that.

Last edited:

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no "fooling you" about it. It increases throttle sensativity... I agree, no performance benefit and I'd never claim as such, but it does allow the driver to precisely adjust/dial in how sensative the throttle is at any given time by the simple turn of a knob. the blackbear tune alone does not allow for such instantaneous adjustment. Furthermore, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it was a waste of money. I enjoy the blackbear tune, but enjoy it more with the module installed. OP said he had a sluggish throttle, the module will improve that.

It makes no change other than making the system thing you pressed the pedal harder than you did. You can literally do the same by just pushing harder. It does 0 of anything real that you can not do with your own foot. It is a waste of money when you can spend 0 and use your leg/foot muscle to do the same.

BB tune can do far more for "sensitivity" than that foolery could ever falsely claim. Just by lowering and changing torque management settings it makes drastic real improvements to response. I had BB knock the torque management down as far as they could. The response of the throttle now reminds me of a old cable throttle it is damn near instant and much more responsive. Oh and 10% input is still 10% input while making these improvements.

Do not waste money on a throttle spoofer. Just go BB as they can change much much more than just little things.

If you wanted more than what your tune from BB gave you all you have to do is talk to them let them know where you would like more tweaking and they happily will work on it and get you where you want to be within limits of your vehicle.

But to claim those spoofers do any real adjustment or change is just either not understanding what they are or just going by the placebo effect you have from yours. It is literally the same as pushing the pedal harder initially there is no sensitivity adjustment its a input spoof and is a false feeling as you hit 100% sooner and the last half of your pedal swing does 0 cause once at 100% on spoof the damn thing cant go further.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The module simply processes input data from the gas pedal and bypasses the factory signal to the vehicle's ECU thereby sending a modified signal directly to the throttle creating an increase in percieved throttle responsiveness. That is the technical explanation of “making the system think you pressed the pedal harder than you did”.

I am perfectly happy with my BB tune. Had them change the torque management and dial in throttle response better than stock. You obviously missed my point about the benefit of the module. It comes with a knob and you can actually dial in the “sensitivity” to your preferred level. In conceptual or laymans terms it adjusts where the “starting point” of the gas pedal is when you push your foot on the gas.

I’m not “claiming” anything here. I have the blackbear tune and I have the K&N module. It is adjustable.... period... I understand how the system works. This is a simple concept to understand. It’s not some “blow your mind” bolt on power gain.... Yes, you are right.... the module simply does exactly the same thing as a heavy foot would do manually..... but with the added benefit of adjustability. In other words you aren't limited to 1 fixed position all the time. You can adjust it to your preference for how sensitive it is......exactly the same way that you could adjust how hard/quick you push your foot on the gas...again not arguing this.

Case in point example: My dad came to visit and he went to go back the truck up into the driveway (had never driven my truck before). When he reversed into the driveway he damn near backed into the garage door because of how sensitive the accelerator was. He asked me why the throttle was so sensitive and I showed him the knob; dialed it all the way down/ adjusted the throttle response back to blackbear parameters.... I dial it down when my wife drives it as well. Again, there’s no placebo anything here...... it’s a simple module that adjusts the sensitivity of the throttle signal in relation to the amount of pressure your foot exerts on the pedal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts