2019 Tahoe Z71 or HD towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airborne89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 2019 Tahoe LT this spring and I'm having trouble deciding between the Z71 Midnight edition or one with the HD towing package. I don't tow or haul a lot but I do go off road, desert/forest trails and the beach, so I was leaning towards the Z71. I've read online that the suspension on the tow package is much better though. Both have the 3.42 gearing so that's a wash.

This will be a daily driver plus vacation vehicle. I will be loading it down for trips to the Gulf and will have a Pakmule basket on the hitch and basket on the roof as well as having the vehicle loaded with four passengers and gear. If I went with a tow package I'd be changing the tires out to all terrains on 18's.

Any advise from people that have had both would be appreciated. Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Brian. I do not own these particular vehicles.

An LT with the Max Trailering Package will have the air leveling suspension and integrated trailer brake controller and an 8,400 tow rating. It will ride better and tow more weight.

The Z71 might sit taller and of course will not ride as nice with the dumb suspension. This makes it less costly to replace or change shocks down the road. It's tow rating is 2,000 pounds less.

So it comes down to towing abilities, looks and ride mostly. Is Hill Descent Control important to you for off-roading?

OP
OP
airborne89

airborne89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and info. Hill Descent isn't important. I like the idea air leveling but hated it when it needed repaired on my Grand Cherokee. My only concern with the Z71 suspension is sagging when loaded down, at least that's what I read on a couple threads. I know the tow package also comes with a higher payload rating, I'm guessing due to the air leveling suspension.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and info. Hill Descent isn't important. I like the idea air leveling but hated it when it needed repaired on my Grand Cherokee. My only concern with the Z71 suspension is sagging when loaded down, at least that's what I read on a couple threads. I know the tow package also comes with a higher payload rating, I'm guessing due to the air leveling suspension.

It might also come with an external engine oil cooler and external transmission oil cooler. You can always add the Air Lift Springs inside your rear coils to keep her level and it is what folks do when towing or hanging a basket on the rear hitch. Not having luck getting more detailed on why the Tow Package increases the ratings.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might also come with an external engine oil cooler and external transmission oil cooler. You can always add the Air Lift Springs inside your rear coils to keep her level and it is what folks do when towing or hanging a basket on the rear hitch. Not having luck getting more detailed on why the Tow Package increases the ratings.

Well, I looked at the 2018 Trailering Guide for GMC and it says the Yukons come with the external coolers IF they have the Max Trailering Package. With my generation truck, this is what also partially determined their tow ratings.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the LT with MAX Trailering. Pretty much everything stated here so far is spot on. I don't tow at all (truck came with that option on the lot--I wanted all the other options so that is how it came).

The max trailering does come with the external coolers, which helps the engine and tranny last longer. I have also read on the sticker that MAX Trailering comes with HD frame and HD brakes? That may account for some of the difference.

I do like that that I can load the truck down and it stays level. On the flip side I lowered the rear 2" so it took some figuring out/guesswork/trail and error to work out the rear links.

I replaced the rear shocks with Arnott Bilsteins. Took awhile to find as they are discontinued (Arnott replaced with their own pair--but I wanted the Bilstein valving). They were replaced because the valving got soft and not to my liking.

So which would I want again? Hard to say... I like all the "extras" on the MAX Tow--except it does make finding aftermarket suspension pieces harder (for the rear). And the compressor and other items for will obviously wear out or break at some point. But if they have a 2021 Tahoe with IRS and AT4/Z71 lifted 2" over stock (like the new pickups), it would get a serious look. But it would have to be a MAX Trailering or Z71.

Sometimes it comes down to what deal you can get and what you are willing to sacrifice...

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had the z71 pkg. I don’t like the fender flares. But I’ve always had max towing. Which has Limited slip rear 2 speed transfer case heavy duty tranny and oil cooler. Air leveling shocks and the trailer package. I’ve never got stuck or had my truck overheat.

I think the lt with max towing is a z71 with cleaner looks.

Defender

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have several Tahoes, Yukons and Suburbans. For what you're describing, it sounds like the LT with tow package is what you're looking for. It will have the external coolers, load leveling shocks and much nicer ride for every day driving. As far as cost goes in replacing the shocks on the load leveling, I just replaced a pair AC Delco air shocks on my old 2011 Tahoe for just over $200 on Amazon, a fraction of what the dealer wanted for one. I've been driving these trucks since the 80's, and I'm confident on the LT choice with towing. The Z71 will be a rougher ride for every day driving with its off road package.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're into off-roading, another down side you may want to think about is the LT does not have front tow hooks, the Z71 does. With that being said you can replace the front valence and add the hooks to make it look factory. This is what I did on my LT w/ max trailering pkg.

bgsntth

Reaction score
Interesting comments on the Z71's ride. I actually really like the suspension dampening on our Z71, and do not find it harsh in any way. The lack of an air dam in front makes a huge difference for even mild offroading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98