2017 Tahoe vs 2019 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MP_CHOSEN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm currently dealing with a dilemma. I'm going to be purchasing a Chevy Tahoe and 2 vehicles have made my final cut. One is a 2017 LT with 36.5K miles at $42.5K. It was used as a personal vehicle. The other is 2019 LT with 22K miles at the same price. It was used as a rental. For the record, both are in the same condition, but I like the appearance (aesthetics) of the 2017 more than the 2019. Does the 2019 have features that the 2017 doesn't? If you had these choices which would you pick and why?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently dealing with a dilemma. I'm going to be purchasing a Chevy Tahoe and 2 vehicles have made my final cut. One is a 2017 LT with 36.5K miles at $42.5K. It was used as a personal vehicle. The other is 2019 LT with 22K miles at the same price. It was used as a rental. For the record, both are in the same condition, but I like the appearance (aesthetics) of the 2017 more than the 2019. Does the 2019 have features that the 2017 doesn't? If you had these choices which would you pick and why?

The difference in mileage is not that great. I would be hesitant to buy a rental vehicle as I know how some people treat them when they drive them. The fact that the 2019 is 2 years newer, has 14K miles less and is the same price raises some flags with me.

OP
OP
M

MP_CHOSEN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The difference in mileage is not that great. I would be hesitant to buy a rental vehicle as I know how some people treat them when they drive them. The fact that the 2019 is 2 years newer, has 14K miles less and is the same price raises some flags with me.

Thank you for your reply. Rentals definitely cause a little concern. When I referenced the price, I should have said that the two vehicles are listed at different prices (with the 2019 being ~$4k more), but I managed to get both dealers to agree to the same price.

Given that info, which would you choose?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Rentals definitely cause a little concern. When I referenced the price, I should have said that the two vehicles are listed at different prices (with the 2019 being ~$4k more), but I managed to get both dealers to agree to the same price.

Given that info, which would you choose?

That makes a little more sense. One thing you would have going for you, that I just thought of, is the folks that would rent the Tahoe have to pay more and therefore are probably more likely to not drive it like they stole it.

You should still have factory warranty on the 2019 so that reduces some of your risk as well.

I say go for the 2019.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For same price I would take rental if condition and price are equal. May be harder miles, but less overall age. Also, the 19 should have bright LED DRLs vs just low beam drls on 17 and older models.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MP_CHOSEN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That makes a little more sense. One thing you would have going for you, that I just thought of, is the folks that would rent the Tahoe have to pay more and therefore are probably more likely to not drive it like they stole it.

You should still have factory warranty on the 2019 so that reduces some of your risk as well.

I say go for the 2019.

Thank you for your input!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought of a question for you. If I managed to work the dealer (of the 2017) down by an additional $1k, should that make a difference?

I would still go with the 2019.

1). 14K left on the factory warranty is big for me. Gives you time to discover any issues.
2) If you’re financing, you might get a better interest rate on the 2019 vs the 2017.
3) More bugs worked out in platform by 2019.

At the end of the day, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

OP
OP
M

MP_CHOSEN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would still go with the 2019.

1). 14K left on the factory warranty is big for me. Gives you time to discover any issues.
2) If you’re financing, you might get a better interest rate on the 2019 vs the 2017.
3) More bugs worked out in platform by 2019.

At the end of the day, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

Awesome...thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As they have said, the 2019 is a great choice, IMO. Ask the dealer to "throw" in an extended warranty from them. For some reason I keep hearing about that happening on a regular basis when you ask. Or at least free oil changes for a few years. You know, icing on the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE