2017 Tahoe LT cognito performance leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerronic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the cognito performance leveling kit (2000$) with fox 2.0 coilovers. Fox 2.0 rear and cognito UCA. Says it’s a 3in leveling kit for the front, then I would add 1in spacer to the rear coil.

What do you guys think about this leveling kit? I haven’t seen much posts about it .. trying to gain clearance and improve the suspension for off road camping and fishing trips. I’m starting with a stock truck so I want to build this thing up right.

OP
OP
K

Kerronic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the factory struts/leveling spacers on my wifes denali with the 2.0 fox units. Aside from the factory shocks being blown/locked up and riding like garbage at the time, the fox units did not seem to ride/perform any different than the original units for street driving. And i had the shocks lowered down to roughy 1.5-2” of lift.

Thats just my experience/opinion though.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've stumbled onto something great here!

Can you please provide the members your vehicle info:
Year, Trim, Miles, current wheels and tires.
Goals for your build?
Will you be trailering/towing? Estimated weights?
Will you be adding new wheels or tires after the level work?

I've actually looked at this exact kit myself. It's a nice combo of Fox products and Cognito's UCAs. The Fox 2.0 Performance Coil Overs are adjustable (0-2" according to Fox website), come out of the box set at +2" ride height. In most cases, this setting pushes the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban front up 2.5-3" higher. These Fox coil overs were originally designed for Silverado/Sierras and have a heavier front end in mind when designed (engine type/winch/plow options being used on these trucks being typical reasons for increased ride height on our vehicles vs. Silverado/Sierra). Performance on and off road with the Fox 2.0's is terrific in my opinion. They also look great once installed on the vehicle. An additional bonus is their adjustability. Since they are preloaded, if the ride is too stiff, they can be lowered a little bit and some softness will come back to the ride. Lowering the preloaded coil over does not exactly equate an equal lowering in ride height. For example, I adjusted the preload on the coil over down 1/2" and the front end of my Tahoe actually came down about 1" lower. I then went back and only decreased the preload on the coil by 1/8", resulting in about a 2.75" ride height over my stock setup.

Cognito's Fox product offerings are specific to the company, in other words, Fox produces these items specifically for Cognito. Granted, this package's Fox 2.0s (front and rear) are commonly available through other vendors separately. However, the UCAs are Cognito brand and designed specifically for the increased ride height and new angles. The Cognito UCAs are also designed to be compatible with the Fox 2.0 front shock coils, so that rubbing and fitment are NOT an issue you shouldn't have to worry about that.
You would have to source individual pieces if you don't buy the complete setup you've found. Top of my head, the Fox 2.0s are about $950 up front and $350 for rear. Cognito UCAs separately would be about $600. Then add shipping...

I'm currently running Cognito's Fox 2.0 (4-6" coil over) product offering up front and couldn't be happier. My current 2.0s were an upgrade when I did the 4" lift. Previously, I was running the exact Fox 2.0s you're talking about for around 50k miles. NO COMPLAINTS - LOVED THEM!!! I actually sold my 0-2" Fox 2.0s to a fellow TYForum member. He had them serviced and last I spoke with him, was very happy with the ride quality improvement over his stock truck. That's another great thing about the Fox products. Tremendous customer service at Fox and you can send your equipment in to be serviced by their techs. Fox has recommended service intervals on their website, depending on mileage and usage conditions. The Fox techs clean 'em up and send 'em back looking brand new!

The remote reservoirs with DSC would be an upgrade on the Fox 2.0s for sure. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, these might offer the ultimate ride quality. The DSC allows you to dial in the dampening to your desired stiffness and allows for a quick change when you hit challenging road conditions. In my opinion, perhaps they are a bit overkill, but still a great addition if you have the extra cash. I certainly have moments where I think, "why didn't you just spend the extra grand and get the RRs?" All in all, the 2.0s have gotten me down and back on many logging trails and rutted out messy dirt roads here in Maine.
I think most other TYForum members will agree that the Fox shock upgrade from stock OE is certainly worth it. And also provides a better overall ride due to the adjustable coil overs instead of using a leveling spacer on your OE shocks/coil setup.

Agreed - YES on the 1" rear spacer; that's exactly what I had installed on rear coils when I was running the 2.0 Fox coil overs up front.

If you do want to go over 2-2.5" ride height increase up front, you may want to consider a differential drop kit. An example can be found here: https://supremesuspensions.com/prod...ntial-drop-kit-4wd-4x4?variant=21391308783696
I have personally not installed one, but most lift kits on the market that do not include a new lower crossmember include some sort of differential relocation. This, in theory, reduces wear on CV joints and axles.

In terms of ground clearance, the ONLY way to increase your clearance without a diff drop lift kit (welding new crossmember) is by adding larger tires. The leveling kit does nothing to increase the ride height of the existing bottom components on the vehicle. You may be riding 3" higher after the leveling kit, but the bottom of the truck is still exactly where it was stock until you add new tires. I'm guessing you're at about 31.5" diameter tire with stock setup. Going with this 3" level will most likely allow you to run a 33-33.5" tire. Thus, you gain 2" in tire, divide by 2 (add'tl inches at top and bottom of tire), and you get 1" net increase ground clearance.

The increased ground clearance is really only good if you can improve your approach angle.
Make sure you take care of that front air dam! DIY Trimming by hand or installing the PPV trim lower air dam are the most common solutions.

You may want to think about protecting your underside with skid plates, not sure what trim level vehicle that you have.
There are a couple front shield OE options out there; 3 underside pieces are what's needed to protect the vital underside parts when off road.

OP
OP
K

Kerronic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you've stumbled onto something great here!

Can you please provide the members your vehicle info:
Year, Trim, Miles, current wheels and tires.
Goals for your build?
Will you be trailering/towing? Estimated weights?
Will you be adding new wheels or tires after the level work?

I've actually looked at this exact kit myself. It's a nice combo of Fox products and Cognito's UCAs. The Fox 2.0 Performance Coil Overs are adjustable (0-2" according to Fox website), come out of the box set at +2" ride height. In most cases, this setting pushes the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban front up 2.5-3" higher. These Fox coil overs were originally designed for Silverado/Sierras and have a heavier front end in mind when designed (engine type/winch/plow options being used on these trucks being typical reasons for increased ride height on our vehicles vs. Silverado/Sierra). Performance on and off road with the Fox 2.0's is terrific in my opinion. They also look great once installed on the vehicle. An additional bonus is their adjustability. Since they are preloaded, if the ride is too stiff, they can be lowered a little bit and some softness will come back to the ride. Lowering the preloaded coil over does not exactly equate an equal lowering in ride height. For example, I adjusted the preload on the coil over down 1/2" and the front end of my Tahoe actually came down about 1" lower. I then went back and only decreased the preload on the coil by 1/8", resulting in about a 2.75" ride height over my stock setup.

Cognito's Fox product offerings are specific to the company, in other words, Fox produces these items specifically for Cognito. Granted, this package's Fox 2.0s (front and rear) are commonly available through other vendors separately. However, the UCAs are Cognito brand and designed specifically for the increased ride height and new angles. The Cognito UCAs are also designed to be compatible with the Fox 2.0 front shock coils, so that rubbing and fitment are NOT an issue you shouldn't have to worry about that.
You would have to source individual pieces if you don't buy the complete setup you've found. Top of my head, the Fox 2.0s are about $950 up front and $350 for rear. Cognito UCAs separately would be about $600. Then add shipping...

I'm currently running Cognito's Fox 2.0 (4-6" coil over) product offering up front and couldn't be happier. My current 2.0s were an upgrade when I did the 4" lift. Previously, I was running the exact Fox 2.0s you're talking about for around 50k miles. NO COMPLAINTS - LOVED THEM!!! I actually sold my 0-2" Fox 2.0s to a fellow TYForum member. He had them serviced and last I spoke with him, was very happy with the ride quality improvement over his stock truck. That's another great thing about the Fox products. Tremendous customer service at Fox and you can send your equipment in to be serviced by their techs. Fox has recommended service intervals on their website, depending on mileage and usage conditions. The Fox techs clean 'em up and send 'em back looking brand new!

The remote reservoirs with DSC would be an upgrade on the Fox 2.0s for sure. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, these might offer the ultimate ride quality. The DSC allows you to dial in the dampening to your desired stiffness and allows for a quick change when you hit challenging road conditions. In my opinion, perhaps they are a bit overkill, but still a great addition if you have the extra cash. I certainly have moments where I think, "why didn't you just spend the extra grand and get the RRs?" All in all, the 2.0s have gotten me down and back on many logging trails and rutted out messy dirt roads here in Maine.
I think most other TYForum members will agree that the Fox shock upgrade from stock OE is certainly worth it. And also provides a better overall ride due to the adjustable coil overs instead of using a leveling spacer on your OE shocks/coil setup.

Agreed - YES on the 1" rear spacer; that's exactly what I had installed on rear coils when I was running the 2.0 Fox coil overs up front.

If you do want to go over 2-2.5" ride height increase up front, you may want to consider a differential drop kit. An example can be found here: https://supremesuspensions.com/prod...ntial-drop-kit-4wd-4x4?variant=21391308783696
I have personally not installed one, but most lift kits on the market that do not include a new lower crossmember include some sort of differential relocation. This, in theory, reduces wear on CV joints and axles.

In terms of ground clearance, the ONLY way to increase your clearance without a diff drop lift kit (welding new crossmember) is by adding larger tires. The leveling kit does nothing to increase the ride height of the existing bottom components on the vehicle. You may be riding 3" higher after the leveling kit, but the bottom of the truck is still exactly where it was stock until you add new tires. I'm guessing you're at about 31.5" diameter tire with stock setup. Going with this 3" level will most likely allow you to run a 33-33.5" tire. Thus, you gain 2" in tire, divide by 2 (add'tl inches at top and bottom of tire), and you get 1" net increase ground clearance.

The increased ground clearance is really only good if you can improve your approach angle.
Make sure you take care of that front air dam! DIY Trimming by hand or installing the PPV trim lower air dam are the most common solutions.

You may want to think about protecting your underside with skid plates, not sure what trim level vehicle that you have.
There are a couple front shield OE options out there; 3 underside pieces are what's needed to protect the vital underside parts when off road.
Thanks for the help!

2017 Tahoe Lt, 15,000 miles:) pretty sure it’s the base model with stock tires and 18 Chevy rims. Pretty sure it’s all regular stock suspension as well.

My goal is to make this a more capable truck off road. I live on the big island, Hawaii. The trails are very rocky and I’d be driving less than 10mph a lot of the times.

Skids plates will be a must..
hoping for 33s or 32s but want to keep my articulation capabilities good

Also trying keep the tires flush with the truck, we have to pass safety checks out here yearly and can fail if tires stick out too far past fender wells. Not sure if the cognito UCA will push the tires out farther?

Felt like the cognito performance leveling kit and tires would be a good start. I think the fox 2.0 coilover comes with a cognito spacer? How are they getting 3in on their leveling kit ? Fox website says the 2.0 offer 2in lift? They must have a 1in spacer?

And in the rear I would put new shocks and a 1in spacer? Unless I could replace the spring and gain an 1 or 2 without the need for a spacer? Saw something about z71 springs?

Appreciate the help

OP
OP
K

Kerronic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bds 4in suspension lift also an option, but worried about passing my yearly safety checks , doesn’t the bds lift push the wheels out a lot? Would have to keep smaller tires to swap out

I Feel like getting 3in from cognito kit with coils better than 4in bds noncoil?

What do you guys think

OP
OP
K

Kerronic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got this from a cognito rep...
Also, depending on the offset/backspace of your wheels you may need to run wheel spacers to clear.

Will be buying new tires so would need to make sure the rims work with this setup

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similar boat here...i wanted a certain size, look and upgraded parts. the trouble i found was most replacement arms mention a lesser offset wheel or spacer...that was a no go for me.

i currently run a 2.5 front spacer on new front assemblies, with readylift upper arms ( these clear stock wheels just fine), and a 1.5 rear spacer and bilstein 5100.

i am looking to move to a full 4", but want a lower arm relocation and knuckle to maintain stock travel and angles. 2017 Suburban 2.5-1.5-285-55-22.jpg

dsh1106

Reaction score
similar boat here...i wanted a certain size, look and upgraded parts. the trouble i found was most replacement arms mention a lesser offset wheel or spacer...that was a no go for me.

i currently run a 2.5 front spacer on new front assemblies, with readylift upper arms ( these clear stock wheels just fine), and a 1.5 rear spacer and bilstein 5100.

i am looking to move to a full 4", but want a lower arm relocation and knuckle to maintain stock travel and angles. View attachment 356865
This is might be one of the only 4" kits that has the new knuckles.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
275/70r18 & 2” spacer/coilover. You will not be getting much capability for anything larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy