2017 Tahoe LS/LT or Yukon SLE/SLT DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockwoodroo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently swapped the stock halogens on my 2017 Tahoe LS for LED’s and did not notice what the DRL behavior was prior to the swap.

I believe that during the day, the LED strip served as the DRL. Now with the LED’s installed, the LED strip wont turn on; instead the low beams come on.

I wanted to see if anyone out there knew what I should expect and if this is being caused by the new LED low beam or high beams before I start taking them apart and troubleshooting.

This is the behavior with the LED’s during the day:

-Driving with auto setting on lamp knob -- Only Low beams on.

-Driving with knob on parking lamp position (1) -- Strip and low beam on.

-Driving with knob on last setting (2) -- Strip and low beams are on. I did notice that the low beam bulb has a higher intensity in this setting as well.

If anyone has an unmodified truck that could let me know what the stock halogens do in the above 3 mentioned settings, it would be much appreciated.

IMG_8902.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
????? the same thing they have done for the last 18 years.......
auto-drl's on, headlights come on when sun sets or it gets dark enough
position 1 running lights-all the time
postion 2 headlights all the time
the only "mod" that would change this is if you disabled the ambient light sensor, or if you wired your high and lows different or wired them all 4 come on at once, etc, etc
on the NBS you could push the interior light button 3 times and make the lights go off until you cycled the ignition, but other than that they have the same functionality for the last 2 decades.
only thing I can suggest is put the stock bulbs back in to confirm it is a led bulb issue, if so then be sure to check your polarity, I would think they would come with only way to install though so that may not be the problem, it could be resistance or lack of resistance.
buy I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time....

elperuano

Reaction score
????? the same thing they have done for the last 18 years.......
auto-drl's on, headlights come on when sun sets or it gets dark enough
position 1 running lights-all the time
postion 2 headlights all the time
the only "mod" that would change this is if you disabled the ambient light sensor, or if you wired your high and lows different or wired them all 4 come on at once, etc, etc
on the NBS you could push the interior light button 3 times and make the lights go off until you cycled the ignition, but other than that they have the same functionality for the last 2 decades.
only thing I can suggest is put the stock bulbs back in to confirm it is a led bulb issue, if so then be sure to check your polarity, I would think they would come with only way to install though so that may not be the problem, it could be resistance or lack of resistance.
buy I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time....

To be honest, I too, had no idea what those symbols meant lol. Thanks for clearing that up!

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Suburban LS with the base lighting package. The strip LED lights only function as parking lamps. The DRLs use the low beam headlamp bulb at reduced power. For the 2018 model year, this has been changed so that the DRLs use the LED strip for both the DRLs and the parking lights.

OP
OP
rockwoodroo

rockwoodroo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Richard. This leads me to believe then that the LED kit I installed did not change the original factory setting. I tried the parking setting while the truck was on park and indeed the strip was the only one that was on.

angelmom05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2017 Tahoe LT and I would like for my LED strip to serve as my DRL like on the newer models. How can my lights be programmed that way? And will my LEDs be bright enough? The new Tahoe’s LEDs look so bright.

angelmom05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wonder if you swap the entire headlight system for the newer ones. $$$$ I’m sure but depends on how bad you want the LEDs to run as DRL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo