17 Tahoe: Non working DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txdrifter17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for help/advice/opinion/comments on my problem. Have 2017 Tahoe Premier with factory HID headlights. Driver side DRL not working. I have spent a ton of time researching the issue and to date, have not found the information I need. I found one YT video showing a repair method involving disassembly of the headlight unit, removing a circuit board and running a jumper on it to fix the issue. The problem is the video was on a 15 Yukon with factory halogen lighting. I don't know if mine has the same arrangement or is it different? Also this fix calls for baking the headlight assembly in an oven @ about 200 degrees in order to soften the seal to remove the outer cover. Then all the "shiny parts" have to be disassembled to get at the board. Then there is the problem of cleaning off the old sealant and resealing properly (with what?) or the whole exercise is for naught. I've already had the grille assembly off once to take care of a turn signal issue so I'm not hesitant to take it off again to remove the headlight assembly but not ready to tackle the baking/opening/resealing problems that is perhaps beyond my reach. Seems like it is fraught with potential problems. Next option is to replace the entire assembly. From GM that's $1200+. Aftermarket about $900 which will function but won't exactly match the factory passenger side. Neither of these options is in the budget$! Used OEM (If you can find one in decent condition) about $500-$600. I have found kits to convert the HID to LED in the factory assemblies but that doesn't address my DRL outage.
What I want to do is purchase two new aftermarket LED complete headlight assemblies ($400-$500) and completely replace both sides. All of the new LED assemblies, however, say in their descriptions: "will not fit HID models". No one seems to know why or what I would have to change in order to make this conversion. Is it a electrical configuration issue? fuse panel? plug? Is it something else? No one seems to know. HID headlights appear to be a great secret mystery that no one knows anything about. I know there are ballasts, igniters, etc. and probably other differences between HID and LED but common sense says if I'm replacing both units totally, there should be a way. There's obviously something (probably much, lol) I'm missing.
Thanks for having me in the forum and any info/advice/comments greatly appreciated.

Mando6point2

Reaction score
Your best bet is probably to buy a hid aftermarket assembly and use your existing ballast and hid bulb

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for help/advice/opinion/comments on my problem. Have 2017 Tahoe Premier with factory HID headlights. Driver side DRL not working. I have spent a ton of time researching the issue and to date, have not found the information I need. I found one YT video showing a repair method involving disassembly of the headlight unit, removing a circuit board and running a jumper on it to fix the issue. The problem is the video was on a 15 Yukon with factory halogen lighting. I don't know if mine has the same arrangement or is it different? Also this fix calls for baking the headlight assembly in an oven @ about 200 degrees in order to soften the seal to remove the outer cover. Then all the "shiny parts" have to be disassembled to get at the board. Then there is the problem of cleaning off the old sealant and resealing properly (with what?) or the whole exercise is for naught. I've already had the grille assembly off once to take care of a turn signal issue so I'm not hesitant to take it off again to remove the headlight assembly but not ready to tackle the baking/opening/resealing problems that is perhaps beyond my reach. Seems like it is fraught with potential problems. Next option is to replace the entire assembly. From GM that's $1200+. Aftermarket about $900 which will function but won't exactly match the factory passenger side. Neither of these options is in the budget$! Used OEM (If you can find one in decent condition) about $500-$600. I have found kits to convert the HID to LED in the factory assemblies but that doesn't address my DRL outage.
What I want to do is purchase two new aftermarket LED complete headlight assemblies ($400-$500) and completely replace both sides. All of the new LED assemblies, however, say in their descriptions: "will not fit HID models". No one seems to know why or what I would have to change in order to make this conversion. Is it a electrical configuration issue? fuse panel? plug? Is it something else? No one seems to know. HID headlights appear to be a great secret mystery that no one knows anything about. I know there are ballasts, igniters, etc. and probably other differences between HID and LED but common sense says if I'm replacing both units totally, there should be a way. There's obviously something (probably much, lol) I'm missing.
Thanks for having me in the forum and any info/advice/comments greatly appreciated.
@cmatt may have the harness needed hir your ride.

OP
OP
T

txdrifter17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your best bet is probably to buy a hid aftermarket assembly and use your existing ballast and hid bulb
Thanks for the reply. I have searched high and low and haven't found any aftermarket HID assemblies, only LED. If you know of a source, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

OP
OP
T

txdrifter17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Latest update: Took this truck in to my favorite shop for a couple of service and repair items. I mentioned my DRL issue to him thinking he might have further knowledge on the subject. He called me the next day to tell me he had talked my extended warranty administrator into replacing the entire headlight unit with GM $1500 sealed unit! I had not explored that avenue since the dealership guy had (without my knowledge) checked the “lighting package delete box“ at the time I purchased the vehicle and the warranty. Therefore, I did not think that was a possibility. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased and asked NO questions! (LOL). He got them to cover everything he did except, of course, the oil change. Hooray for persuasive shop owner!!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt