2016 Yukon Denali (Standard) with ABS Sensor Hub Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon Denali with a dealership installed Borla Cat-Back Touring Exhaust, K&N Intake Filter (Not kit on this one) with 22" wheels and tires. I've had the typical Torque Converter issues (both replaced twice under warranty) Not what this new issue is. Just began to jerk into lowest gear while slowing/stopping @ red lights/stop signs, etc.) When it jerks I get the ABS noise and pulse but it stops OK. Does this 3 out of 5 time. At high speeds I've tested hitting brakes hard with no issues. Battery is new. As long as I'm moving over 40 MPH all is well. I've had hands-on and OnStar Diagnostics finding no electronic issues. No codes, etc.
If I put transmission in Towing Mode it bypasses the final downshift and runs OK at low speeds while stopping. (Other than the higher revs, etc.)

I'm being told it's either a loose of bad ABS Hub Sensor. I know there's been issues with the HUB Sensors in previous versions; but, this is the first I've had the issue. I run my vehicles till they roll over and kick the wheels off. I do have 125K on it but it runs like snot (for what it is) when I had a chip on it. I took chip off before the last torque converter issue just because dealers don't like to see those. 125K is nothing these days if you take care of them. My last GM SUV had 299K on it when I sold it on E-bay for 4K over Blue Book. (Another story for another Forum)

I'm taking it in this week to verify if the sensor is loose or bad. Anybody else had/have similar issues?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm out of state with it so when I get back I'll upload a photo. Nothing super special but I get comments on it's looks and color. It's a dark gray (I'll get color later) and with the sun it looks either gray, black or brown. Most think it's black from a distance.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quickie update.....I apologize in advance for the long explanation.

Took vehicle to a local out of state dealer (one with a good rating for service) while on vacation. They checked all wiring connections and verified all electrical connections are good. Checked if sensors were loose at front and all checked OK. I even had my 14 month old battery replaced (at N/C) to make sure I wasn't getting intermittent issues due to it being faulty for not keeping a charge. The dealer tech test drove vehicle and could not duplicate the issue; as it takes about .30-.45 minutes + for it to start acting up. Upshifts and downshifts great with no ABS noise. They said it is safe to drive back home (700 miles). I paid their bill (testing/inspection) and off I go for less than 1/2 mile and presto....it does it again at the 2nd traffic light. I almost took it back but figured I'd chance it and deal with it back home.

While on vacation we drove all around the area and it kept up with it's intermittent operation.

Headed home it did fine till it was time to stop for gas and slow down. After this time it worked fine until time again to pull of interstate. Only did it once each time. Total travel including a couple stops (11.0 hours total) it worked great with only one issue as noted above on interstates.

The last 120 miles are 2 and 4 lane highways with some steep hills up and down. Top highway speeds on these roads are 65 MPH with about 15 miles at 45 MPH. About 45 miles from home coming down a steep grade (cruise control off) I was going about 60 in a 55. Hill Hold kicked in and downshifted. When it down shifted the speedometer and tach both dropped to 0 MPH and revs. Engine still running but Heat/AC fans kicked into high mode. Felt like I was in neutral. I pressed gas pedal about 1/2 way and still nothing. (while still going down hill) I pressed again and the speedometer and tach kicked in and the transmission kicked back in with a jerk/jolt. Still no codes.

Now I'm thinking transmission. Drove rest of way home and it only did the braking noise thing at it's typical last gear down shift; which is hard; (only at times with noise) while slowing for a final stop light. Seems I have to be driving over 40 MPH for it to do it's weird noise. I took foot off of brake when noise began and the noise continued. It still sounds like a hard ABS braking but could be gears in transmission.

Drove today around town with no issues. My dealer is 30 miles from my home so I am going to drive it enough for the noise to begin so tech can duplicate. The other issue going down hills is now making me lean towards transmission.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recorded issues and had Tech review and ride with me. Thinking now I've got a stripped transfer case gear. Will drive in city in 4Hi for a day or two to see if it gets worse. Playing the game for now.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Sorry....tried to load a couple videos and can't make them compatible. Tried to delete and I don't have permission....Tks!

OK to disregard.....

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update -- Truck in shop since the 15th. Pretty certain I've got trash in the transmission from the two failed torque converters causing the low gear have low spots which will sometimes search for the low gear when downshifting. It is hit or miss with the hard shifts and I can live with that for now because it's so random. Gear/gears only slip/search in 2 HI. Hard shifts occasionally in all transfer case modes but only searches for low gear in 2 HI. It is random and some days works fine. The dealer has checked all codes with no conclusions. They will be dropping the transmission pan today to see what falls out. Will know more soon.

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: Just got it back from the dealer (this time) after 7 business days and I will say it is shifting smoothly so far. They rebuilt the Transfer Case (twice) and replaced the Transfer Case Control Module. It ran fine back home (30+ miles). Have a 500 mile round trip business trip next week so I guess I'll see. Dealer has been good to me with no fees (issues began under warranty but now it is out) and they have not charged me a dime as well as providing me a free loaner each time. I'll know more next week. (P.S. I have my doubts but have fingers crossed this time)

OP
OP
Chipmunk

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: After 53 whopping miles (including 30 to drive home yesterday PM) I’ve had two incidents of surges and the noise is back1f616.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33