2016 Yukon Denali cam shaft issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cleancut41

cleancut41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon Denali with 125,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck. All service, including oil changes, done at GMC dealership. While driving all of the sudden the truck started running very rough and engine warning light came on. It didn't stall but felt like it at stop sign. Made it a short distance home and had it towed to dealership. They told me they think that it is a cam shaft issue and it would cost between 4k and 6k to fix but they wouldn't know for sure until they started working on it. I think they sensed my disappointment/anger and told me that customers with similar experiences often trade in. Shouldn't a 6.2 engine last longer than that when properly maintained? WTH GM?
To close this out, the broken valve spring caused damage to the intake manifold runner. I saw it collapsed and melted. The intake manifold was replaced as well. The truck is back on the road and it cost me $960 in total. This is much better than 6K that I thought that I was facing. Hat's off to the tech who gave me the straight advice when I asked, he is the same guy who did the repair at the dealership.

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another update. After taking advice from a tech who specializes in GM engine issues to wait for a more thorough diagnosis, the dealership called me and told me that I had a broken valve spring on cylinder 8. They even sent me a picture of it. Quoted less than $400 to repair. If that is all that it is, I am very thankful as it sounded absolutely terrible when it was brought in. I almost traded it in for significantly less than it is really worth. Hopefully it will be running great when I pick it up.
You got lucky. At approximately the same time this year my 2015 broke a valve spring on #2 cylinder and dropped the intake valve. I ended up saving the crankshaft, 7 connecting rods and a set of heads. I had a local machine shop build a new DOD deleted short block and repair the damaged head. I ended up spending about $7000 ‍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts