2016 Tahoe Shutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdmax2750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m a professional mechanic with access to GM tech line and snap on triton. Just bought this used 2016 Tahoe 5.3 with 141,000 kept getting Flashing cel with a hard shutter. Rpms all over the place and hanging gears when it would shutter. Mostly in lower rpms and medium engine load. Like pulling a hill in too high of a gear. Replaced all plugs with GM and performed BG intake system clean. Still had bad shutter. Had another tech ride with me and confirmed torque converter. R+R torque converter with GM one, new filter and Mobil 1 delvac syn atf. Old converter was replaced 12/21 with CVC converter. Pan had no debris and oil was not burnt. Just typical material stuck to magnet. Still has shutter and flashing cel just not as bad. Cyl 8 misfire. Could bad injectors cause what I’m feeling. Engine runs flawless other wise. I’ve checked st and lt fuel trims and are +/-1. Did not monitor Tcc slip. Am I missing something in the trans or is the engine related. All help is appreciated.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Are you relatively sure that the shudder is from the engine and not the transmission?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m a professional mechanic with access to GM tech line and snap on triton. Just bought this used 2016 Tahoe 5.3 with 141,000 kept getting Flashing cel with a hard shutter. Rpms all over the place and hanging gears when it would shutter. Mostly in lower rpms and medium engine load. Like pulling a hill in too high of a gear. Replaced all plugs with GM and performed BG intake system clean. Still had bad shutter. Had another tech ride with me and confirmed torque converter. R+R torque converter with GM one, new filter and Mobil 1 delvac syn atf. Old converter was replaced 12/21 with CVC converter. Pan had no debris and oil was not burnt. Just typical material stuck to magnet. Still has shutter and flashing cel just not as bad. Cyl 8 misfire. Could bad injectors cause what I’m feeling. Engine runs flawless other wise. I’ve checked st and lt fuel trims and are +/-1. Did not monitor Tcc slip. Am I missing something in the trans or is the engine related. All help is appreciated.
sounds like a shortcut was taken on the transmission at 140k with a bad converter it should have been gone thru end to end and rebuilt properly.
just my .02 cents on the matter.
money down the drain.....

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it for another test drive with the Triton plugged in and trans live data streams displayed on screen. You'll know if its trans or not in relatively short order...

OP
OP
G

Gdmax2750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. I hooked it up this evening and tcc slip wasn’t bad. Cruising was 1-25 rpm. Also just like others have said I wasn’t able to read pressure. But my engine mis-fires were on multiple cylinders. Especially cyl 8. Injector balance test show all 1,3,5,7 26.2 and 2,4,6,8 were 35. So I’m suspecting clogged injectors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar