2016 Tahoe ...22inch steel/ smoothies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im in the market for some wheels. We completed a 2/4 belltech (1019) drop.

This is what we look like right now. Im very undecided in which direction I want to go with wheels. I see a lot of the honeycomb, and of course the flat spokes ( not sure what they are really called ).

I want mine to stand out, but in a good way.

A4015F0A-33EF-491E-8770-72BF072D79E3.jpeg

I randomly saw these rims on something and I love them, but I dont know if something like this will look good on a newer truck? Does anyone have steel wheels / or smoothies ....or not so smooth like these?

These are US Mag Heavy Artillery

Heavy-Artillery-1000.jpg

Thoughts?

OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Detroit Steel Wheel Co. has some greeat options as well.

Unfortunately, I dont even know if any of these will fit, etc. So, at the moment I am talking strictly aesthetic.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put 22's on without forged wheels you may want to think about bigger front, or all brakes, takes more to stop the larger and heavier wheels and tires

I understand your point there and it’s valid.

But let’s be real; GM puts heavy ass cast 22” wheels as an option on all of their full size SUV/Truck platforms and there’s no standard brake upgrade required when they do it.

So if GM can offer their heavy 22” wheels as an option without a “required” brake upgrade from the factory then if cast 22” wheels is route chosen then the current stock brakes will accommodate. Potentially wear sooner get less mileage out of pads, control arms, tie rods, etc. But at no rate more than if the vehicle was equipped with GM’s optional OEM 22” wheels.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the market for some wheels. We completed a 2/4 belltech (1019) drop.

This is what we look like right now. Im very undecided in which direction I want to go with wheels. I see a lot of the honeycomb, and of course the flat spokes ( not sure what they are really called ).

I want mine to stand out, but in a good way.

View attachment 362888

I randomly saw these rims on something and I love them, but I dont know if something like this will look good on a newer truck? Does anyone have steel wheels / or smoothies ....or not so smooth like these?

These are US Mag Heavy Artillery

View attachment 362889

Thoughts?

I really don't think those fit the theme of your Tahoe. Sure, you could do some considerable appearance mods to make them fit, but I have a feeling that's not where you're aiming. I think the best that could be done for those is to have the centers and center caps painted body color. Still, it's your Tahoe and your choice, so do what you like. After my recent search for a 22" smoothie, I was gonna suggest Detroit Steel Wheel.

Have any plans to black out the chrome trim? As it sits now, you could go wither way with wheel color and it'd flow pretty well. The easy and, therefore, popular course is shiny wheels to match the trim. So, a darker wheel (gloss or satin black, gunmetal, etc.) would at least be headed in a more unique direction.

Your stock wheels are 20x9 with a positive offset of 27mm. They have a 78.1mm hub bore. Lug pattern is 6x139.7mm (6x5.5"), 14mm lug bolt size. Factory 22s are 22x9 with a positive offset of 24mm and all other specs are the same.

OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really don't think those fit the theme of your Tahoe. Sure, you could do some considerable appearance mods to make them fit, but I have a feeling that's not where you're aiming. I think the best that could be done for those is to have the centers and center caps painted body color. Still, it's your Tahoe and your choice, so do what you like. After my recent search for a 22" smoothie, I was gonna suggest Detroit Steel Wheel.

Have any plans to black out the chrome trim? As it sits now, you could go wither way with wheel color and it'd flow pretty well. The easy and, therefore, popular course is shiny wheels to match the trim. So, a darker wheel (gloss or satin black, gunmetal, etc.) would at least be headed in a more unique direction.

Your stock wheels are 20x9 with a positive offset of 27mm. They have a 78.1mm hub bore. Lug pattern is 6x139.7mm (6x5.5"), 14mm lug bolt size. Factory 22s are 22x9 with a positive offset of 24mm and all other specs are the same.

Thanks for your input! :)

I was just talking style of wheel not necessarily color. I am thinking of getting them from Detroit steel. They have some great options, and getting them a gun metal or their low gloss black but I was looking at their brochure last night and they don’t show a chrome lip for 22”. Once I figure out exactly what I want I will fine tune.

I don’t think I want a full smoothie but one of their other options.

Now to decide the configuration of things!! They have caps galore. Not sure if I want smooth, or Chevy emblem. Lots of decisions!

Then to put them on vogue tyres, that’s a must :)

Just a bit difficult for me to make this push to these kind of wheels because literally no one does this on new trucks, which is great but a hit terrifying I wanna be different but I want it to look great.

I saw yelawolfs truck last night and it made me more secure in the decision.

1644584457704.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dani_yellz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im leaning to go with a gunmetal / gray an it will pop from the tire. I worry if I do a black, it disappears.

These are the ones I am attracted to:

Ambassador 22'', Thinking I like this chevy cap too. Along with vogue tyres, I think it would look great.
ambassador1.PNG

ambassador.PNG

Delrey 22''

chevy cap too. Along with vogue tyres

delrey.PNG

delrey1.PNG

Then theres the Macks

I couldnt find any in gray / silver examples. Im not sure!

mack.PNG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! :)

I was just talking style of wheel not necessarily color. I am thinking of getting them from Detroit steel. They have some great options, and getting them a gun metal or their low gloss black but I was looking at their brochure last night and they don’t show a chrome lip for 22”. Once I figure out exactly what I want I will fine tune.

I don’t think I want a full smoothie but one of their other options.

Now to decide the configuration of things!! They have caps galore. Not sure if I want smooth, or Chevy emblem. Lots of decisions!

Then to put them on vogue tyres, that’s a must :)

Just a bit difficult for me to make this push to these kind of wheels because literally no one does this on new trucks, which is great but a hit terrifying I wanna be different but I want it to look great.

I saw yelawolfs truck last night and it made me more secure in the decision.

View attachment 362967

Now THAT is pretty effin' cool. It's different and it all fits together pretty well. His, being a truck and black, makes it an easier match. Picturing that setup on your Tahoe as it sits in that pic you posted doesn't quite work, IMO. But, you're here to prove you can make it work and I, for one, am anxious to see it happen.

Like I said, maybe something as simple as blacked-out trim is all it needs. Where's a good Photoshopper when you need one?!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im leaning to go with a gunmetal / gray an it will pop from the tire. I worry if I do a black, it disappears.

These are the ones I am attracted to:

Ambassador 22'', Thinking I like this chevy cap too. Along with vogue tyres, I think it would look great.
View attachment 362996

View attachment 362997

Delrey 22''

chevy cap too. Along with vogue tyres

View attachment 363003

View attachment 363004

Then theres the Macks

I couldnt find any in gray / silver examples. Im not sure!

View attachment 363005

Out of those, I'd have to lean towards the Macks. The others are just too much of a classic design which, of course, is why they look so good on those square bods. Your body style of Tahoe isn't classic, it's classy, as in "elegant". The classic truck wheels on it would look like oversized spares.

Again, just my thoughts. Not bashing your ideas. I totally applaud you for venturing and honestly wanna see you pull something together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese