2015 Yukon XL Denali with bad muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked into it and since the stock system is so large shipping is >$250 making it not much cheaper then the dealer.

So if I went aftermarket I don’t want too loud. Wife was already unhappy when I went aftermarket for the air intake on her daily driver. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anything with 3 chambers or more are fairly quiet, I bet you could pick up a used oem one from a wrecking yard for much less than what the dealer wants, you would just have to have it welded in by a muffler shop, I see a used complete oem one on ebay in Illinois for $375 but there wanting to ship it freight, I am sure you could get just a muffler alone for less

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into it and since the stock system is so large shipping is >$250 making it not much cheaper then the dealer.

So if I went aftermarket I don’t want too loud. Wife was already unhappy when I went aftermarket for the air intake on her daily driver. Suggestions?

My wife was the same I the beginning and now she gets used to, she wants more lauded.
How crazy is live?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
So I looked at aftermarket mufflers. Does flowmaster make one for the 6.2L Denali? Can’t find it in their website.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked at aftermarket mufflers. Does flowmaster make one for the 6.2L Denali? Can’t find it in their website.

I wouldn't get a baffled aftermarket muffler as most Flowmasters are. Yes, they make chambered mufflers but you'd be hard-pressed to find informative reviews and it'd be a crapshoot on your rig.

The Magnaflow 12589 has always been the safe go-to on our trucks for a quiet, stock-like sound. It's currently $128 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...gnaflow+12589&qid=1567866040&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or, for about half that, you can get it's equivalent knock-off. Currently $58 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-P...rds=ap+xs2589&qid=1567865904&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have the knock-off of the one that's one step louder than the 12589 and am thoroughly pleased with the quality of it's build and it's sound.

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
I wouldn't get a baffled aftermarket muffler as most Flowmasters are. Yes, they make chambered mufflers but you'd be hard-pressed to find informative reviews and it'd be a crapshoot on your rig.

The Magnaflow 12589 has always been the safe go-to on our trucks for a quiet, stock-like sound. It's currently $128 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...gnaflow+12589&qid=1567866040&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or, for about half that, you can get it's equivalent knock-off. Currently $58 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-P...rds=ap+xs2589&qid=1567865904&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have the knock-off of the one that's one step louder than the 12589 and am thoroughly pleased with the quality of it's build and it's sound.

It fits the Denali? Can’t find a fit page on amazon for it.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Something doesn't seem right here.

[emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's not a direct fit as in, exact dimensions of the stock one. I believe your muffler configuration is the same center inlet/offset outlet as the previous generation(s). This muffler is that same configuration but a little shorter than the stock one, so it'll just need a short piece of pipe (scrap the muffler shop would have laying around) added to make up the difference. I posted Amazon links for both mufflers in my last post.

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
It's not a direct fit as in, exact dimensions of the stock one. I believe your muffler configuration is the same center inlet/offset outlet as the previous generation(s). This muffler is that same configuration but a little shorter than the stock one, so it'll just need a short piece of pipe (scrap the muffler shop would have laying around) added to make up the difference. I posted Amazon links for both mufflers in my last post.

Yeah I followed the links, was looking for the “fits your vehicle” at the top.

I understand now.

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score

So looks like I can get the 12589 for $100 on eBay brand new.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I followed the links, was looking for the “fits your vehicle” at the top.

I understand now.

Thanks!

I gotcha. Thought maybe the links weren't showing up for you. It's a universal muffler, as pretty much all aftermarket mufflers are so the "Fits your vehicle" thing is irrelevant. Stock or OEM, all a muffler is is a tank with an inlet and outlet that you route pipes to. You just gotta get one that matches the original configuration as closely as possible, which I believe is center inlet and offset outlet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne