Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turtle-00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Did some searches and didn't find what I was looking for so I though I would post a question.

I just suffered the defective AC compressor failure - mine seized during extreme heat wave, led to smoking under the hood and noxious fumes in the passenger compartment. Scared the heck out of the family....

Dealer is replacing the AC Compressor today. It would seem that I have the same issue as described in GM Service Bulletin 17336 "Air Conditioning Condenser (Combi-Cooler) Refrigerant Leak".

But I'm also noticing a slippage when the engine shifts. Most recently was on a twisty road with side rumble strips, so I dismissed it at first while driving. But I have noticed the slipping before, particularly if the 4WD shift control is partially between 2WD and 4WD (ugh).

While digging for details on the AC Condenser debacle, I saw a few references to transmission cooler. Then I found Service Bulletin GM 18-NA-355 "Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration". I'm having the dealer swap and flush the Dexron fluid and replace with Mobil-1.

Question for you experts is the relationship between the AC condenser Combi-cooler and the transmission fluid temperature. The transmission fluid lines run through the combi-cooler - presumably to avoid the need for a separate transmission cooler that heavy towing would require.

Questions:
If the combi-cooler loses the AC refrigerant (w/ the AC lubrication oil), what happens to the transmission fluid temperature?

Might it get significantly hotter, changing the viscosity of the liquid?

Does anyone have a link to an exploded diagram of the combi-cooler?

If the transmission fluid is extremely hot (i.e. heat wave) could that change the effectiveness and temperature of the AC refrigerant (and lubrication oil).

Has anyone else noticed transmission concerns and AC failure?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

I cannot personally assist you on this specific topic, but there are many knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives.

They will chime in shortly.

stallion_412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The transmission cooler is only like 4-6 lines of the combi cooler. The rest is dedicated to a/c. In theory since its all connected with metal the temps would affect the other just a bit, it would be an insignificant amount.

You're seeing both issues together because both are exacerbated by operating in high temps. External air temp and driving style (I e. towing) have far more if an effect on both systems.

You should change your trans fluid every 45000mi anyway.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome - 37K miles and the 8 speed transmission? That's about right for having issues with slipping and they'll only get worse. There are TSB's that may help you as well as a class action lawsuit you could sign on with, but that's par for the course. However, I'm wondering why you would drive with the drive mode selector half-way between 2 and 4 wheel drive? Does this deliver 3WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick