2015 Yukon and iphones - VIDEO??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayZ750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The software on this car is really pretty poorly designed.

Can you do videos on the back rear seat entertainment system from your iPhone?
Either bluetooth or USB connection? If not iPhone/Apple, is it a format issue?

We have lots of kids movies/shows in digital format.

Thanks

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why didn't get rear entertainment. With the product cycle and development timeline on cars it seems that the tech is out of date by the time the car even comes out.

So much cheaper, easier and more upgradeable to use portable tablets for entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JayZ750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We've got tablets, but even with the difficulties here, the rear entertainment system has been surprisingly "better". Setting up the tablet is a pain, too.

It's just an issue of not having to burn to dvd our movies...

there's got to be a way... i think there is a usb connection specifically for the system... i'm thinking maybe they just don't like the apple movie format files?? not sure...

help appreciated!

Houstonshark

Reaction score
The latest Apple devices with Lightning connectors do not output video via USB.

kcwood247

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 GMC Yukon Denali

The only "video" input that I'm aware of is the composite input (yellow port) on the back of the center console / RSE controls. It used to be with the pre-lightning Apple products (ex. iPhone 4 / the ones with the wide power connector), there was an adapter that went straight from the phone to the composite a/v input ports (red, white, yellow). However, this is no longer the case with Apple products that have lightning connectors. The connections are now digital. So, supposedly, I haven't tried this yet, but in theory you can get an Apple lightning to hdmi cable, then run it to a hdmi to composite adapter / converter box (requires power - some can draw from one of the USB ports back there), then to the composite input a/v ports). Talk about going from something easy with a single adapter cable to a total kludge of technowizardry. Keep in mind that even if you do get it to work, then, at best, you'll be watching videos at 480i.

In my opinion, this is not an Apple or any other vendors problem. This is solely on GM for a few reasons. 1) They didn't have a cohesive thought on, hey let's provide the ability to play HD/Blu-ray movies but not provide any compatible video inputs that can display at HD. 2) Composite video is a legacy technology. Most products I know of these days (at least the ones I buy) don't even have that option. At one point I thought about putting a Roku or AppleTV in there and then just use my phone or hot spot for data / connectivity from the device. But that was shot down after I test drove and bought the vehicle, and it wasn't a reason not to get the vehicle. 3) The excuse in that the development to production timeframe is so long that technology is obsolete by the time the vehicle goes into production is a joke. HDMI has been around a long time. I understand it comes with a royalty fee, but dang, pony up. We are all paying a premium on the new 2015s. The development team if they haven't already done so should already be including HDMI and planning for next gen technologies like 4K. Meaning they should already have plans for 4K screens via DP1.2 input(s). 4) Lack of innovation in this department. Let's be realistic. We are judging these vehicles more and more on their electronics capabilities and then how well they're executed (not just simply having a checkbox). We don't judge the rest of the vehicle like this: Do you have an engine? Check. Does it use a use gas? Check. Feature: Can it shut down cylinders to save fuel? Check. As we all know, each of those checks can vary widely between vehicles by the same manufacturer or different manufacturers. And if we're being honest, most of what we do in our vehicles (besides drive) is playing with, I mean using the features of, the included electronics. So quit trying to reinvent the wheel...put a stinking tablet in dash. It gives you voice recognition, maps, bluetooth, wifi hotspot, weather, pandora, spotify, it's more familiar and easier to use, etc etc. then just write custom apps or co-develop with the vendor. If doing this is not in the strategic plan, then innovate. Make a propriety system that is modular. Need new input ports, pay $200 for a new input interface module. Touchscreen seems ancient because technology y came out, pay 2k for a new in dash system. I know I know. It's so much more beneficial (profitable) for GM just have you upgrade the whole vehicle when the new model comes out with an hdmi port you've been wanting.

I see that they now offer units for the headrests that come with an hdmi input. So hey, when you spend $75k on a vehicle, what's another grand or two. Yea, not feeling it.

I've put this (lack of HD capable input ports) along with about 15 others into a feature request and sent it to GM. It'll take 10 years or so, but eventually you'll get what you need without buying the headrest accessories.

(Sorry about the long reply. I kind of got sidetracked.)

sssiglover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully be able to stream something like Netflix from a tablet or phone to the OEM rear entertainment system? From what i'm reading it might be possible with some adapters and only in SD. I'll take SD but i don't want a bunch of dangling wires to make it work.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully be able to stream something like Netflix from a tablet or phone to the OEM rear entertainment system? From what i'm reading it might be possible with some adapters and only in SD. I'll take SD but i don't want a bunch of dangling wires to make it work.

I bet you could hardware in an Apple TV / chrome cast, or amazon fire TV. That would be pretty great! Plenty of room in the console. That is what I would do if I had read entertainment. It is a shame there is no HDMI input though!!!!

sssiglover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you could hardware in an Apple TV / chrome cast, or amazon fire TV. That would be pretty great! Plenty of room in the console. That is what I would do if I had read entertainment. It is a shame there is no HDMI input though!!!!

Yep maybe with a device like this. Then you can use your phone as a hotspot for internet access for any of the devices you mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Com...verter/dp/B008FO7PQA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The chromecast would be really cool we have one in the house and love it. It would probably need the least amount of power which you could get from a USB port.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Also has anyone put a Blue-ray movie in? Does this stream in HD? If this streams in HD there has to be an HD source connected to the monitors.

Last edited:

cfoote

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the video format that Apple uses. The Intellilink systems supports the main ones. Apple devices does not support video over usb. I took all of my son's DVD's and ripped them to my hard drive and copied them to a USB Stick. I also had a few DVD's that I ripped to the DIVX format a few years ago and added them to the USB stick as well. The RSE does support DIVX but you have to register the system by getting the code from the DIVX screen and using the DIVX website to download a file to activate your system. I love the fact that I no longer have to keep a stack of DVD's in the vehicle. You can view the Video menu from the RSE screen and select what you want to watch. From the Drivers Intellilink screen you can cycle through the videos but the menu is limited especially if you are driving. You have more options on the front screen if you are in park. The limits while driving can be changed by contacting Gtprix as steve1081 stated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackIrish