2015 vs. 2016? New vs. Used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a 2015 or 2016 Tahoe or Yukon. The non-negotiables are leather interior and a bench seat in the middle. I don't really care about any of the options, but am mainly looking for a vehicle that can seat up to 8 and is comfortable for the whole family, without looking like a mini-van. My goal is to spend 50k or less on the vehicle. Basically, that leaves me with a Tahoe LT or a Yukon SLT. I like the look of the Yukon better, but they seem to be a little harder to track down. I've never owned either vehicle and plan on driving this car for the next five or six years.

I'm looking for some input on whether it might be better to purchase a used model (about 20k miles or less) or to pay a little more for a new model. Is it worth purchasing new just for the warranty? My guess is that many of the low mileage used 2015's are back on the lots due to vehicle issues.

If it's better to purchase new, what are the pros and cons of a 2015 vs. 2016? It is my understanding that there are few differences between the two, but that the 2015 comes with a 100k warranty and the 2016 is only 60k. Is there anything that would make the 2016 more valuable?

Are there any real differences between the Yukon and Tahoe besides cosmetics? Am I correct in assuming that I can probably get a better deal on a Tahoe than a similarly equipped Yukon (leather, bench seats)?

Thanks!

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get to avoid the first year confusion and at the same time don't get the year of depreciation.

OP
OP
S

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You get to avoid the first year confusion and at the same time don't get the year of depreciation.

Great point, thanks for the input!

If I'm going to keep the car for five or so years, will the additional depreciation of being one year older matter so much? E.G. on KBB (I know, not perfect but you gotta go with something) lists the difference between a 2010 and a 2011 as 25k vs. 26k. If I could get a new 2015 for 5-7k less than a similarly equipped 2016, wouldn't it make sense to go with the 2015? Or is there something I am missing?

Last edited:

Groucho

Reaction score
I was wrestling with the same thing. I had on order a 2016 Yukon, but after reading about the 6.2 engine....I had to have it in the Denali. I saved about 2,500 with my supplier discount and got the 15 Denali vs. the 16 Yukon. The book is close after 4 years or so.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest, I wouldn't buy another one. We really like our Tahoe, but GM is starting to piss me off with their supposed customer service. There is a laundry list of complaints with the 2015's that haven't been addressed.

1. Interior Lights Flashing
2. V-4 mode causes excessive rumble/vibration
3. Buffeting Noise in Cabin
4. Seats Shift on turns
5. Exhaust Check Valve Squeak

You can get a really nice Expedition Limited, or Durango Limited for cheaper than the Tahoe LT.

as far as your actual question, get the new one. Hopefully the 2016's have gotten a few of the 2015 bugs worked out. Although I find it weird that the 2016 models got a much reduced warranty vs the 2015 models.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a 2015 or 2016 Tahoe or Yukon. The non-negotiables are leather interior and a bench seat in the middle. I don't really care about any of the options, but am mainly looking for a vehicle that can seat up to 8 and is comfortable for the whole family, without looking like a mini-van. My goal is to spend 50k or less on the vehicle. Basically, that leaves me with a Tahoe LT or a Yukon SLT. I like the look of the Yukon better, but they seem to be a little harder to track down. I've never owned either vehicle and plan on driving this car for the next five or six years.

I'm looking for some input on whether it might be better to purchase a used model (about 20k miles or less) or to pay a little more for a new model. Is it worth purchasing new just for the warranty? My guess is that many of the low mileage used 2015's are back on the lots due to vehicle issues.

If it's better to purchase new, what are the pros and cons of a 2015 vs. 2016? It is my understanding that there are few differences between the two, but that the 2015 comes with a 100k warranty and the 2016 is only 60k. Is there anything that would make the 2016 more valuable?

Are there any real differences between the Yukon and Tahoe besides cosmetics? Am I correct in assuming that I can probably get a better deal on a Tahoe than a similarly equipped Yukon (leather, bench seats)?

Thanks!

IMO, if you can't afford a brand new 70k SUV, you need to look at a lower shelf model.
Used vehicles aren't much of a bargain anymore. Also, I personally want my seats fart free when I buy a vehicle, and when you spend a larger amount of money on a luxury full size SUV, you should want brand new also.

OP
OP
S

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO, if you can't afford a brand new 70k SUV, you need to look at a lower shelf model.
Used vehicles aren't much of a bargain anymore. Also, I personally want my seats fart free when I buy a vehicle, and when you spend a larger amount of money on a luxury full size SUV, you should want brand new also.

Not sure what that is supposed to mean, LT's and SLT's are not 70k SUV's. Expecting to pay about 50k for one new is reasonable, in fact I was quoted at 49k and some change this past weekend. Nothing wrong with asking about used options right now.

Last edited:

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What that means is that late model used vehicles are priced so close to new, that it doesn't make any sense to buy used.
I'm shaking my head at what some people will fore go for an older, used vehicle to save literally nothing in value.
It shocks me what used vehicles are bringing at the auction, and what people are willing to pay for something half worn out.

For example, I was doing a deal for a car for my sister when in conversation, my salesman told me how strong used trucks were currently.
My 2011 Silverado was comped at 26k at the auction, and I paid 27k for it brand new four years ago.

So I ended up trading it for 26k off of a new GMC 2500HD SLT that I bought for $1,500 under invoice, along with another 2k rebate.
My used Silverado hit the used truck lot for an asking price above what I paid for it brand spanking new. How you ask? When GM trucks go on sale, the rebates are big. Take advantage.

So, work a deal under invoice. The buyer holds all of the cards because the buyer holds all of the cash, and people forget that. Hopefully there is a rebate for you to take advantage of. There was a $1,250 rebate when my wife bought here Denali.

As for used car prices, P.T. Barnum used to say.........

Last edited:

nycHorn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO You will have a hard time finding 2015 with leather bench seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What that means is that late model used vehicles are priced so close to new, that it doesn't make any sense to buy used.
I'm shaking my head at what some people will fore go for an older, used vehicle to save literally nothing in value.
It shocks me what used vehicles are bringing at the auction, and what people are willing to pay for something half worn out.

For example, I was doing a deal for a car for my sister when in conversation, my salesman told me how strong used trucks were currently.
My 2011 Silverado was comped at 26k at the auction, and I paid 27k for it brand new four years ago.

So I ended up trading it for 26k off of a new GMC 2500HD SLT that I bought for $1,500 under invoice, along with another 2k rebate.
My used Silverado hit the used truck lot for an asking price above what I paid for it brand spanking new. How you ask? When GM trucks go on sale, the rebates are big. Take advantage.

So, work a deal under invoice. The buyer holds all of the cards because the buyer holds all of the cash, and people forget that. Hopefully there is a rebate for you to take advantage of. There was a $1,250 rebate when my wife bought here Denali.

As for used car prices, P.T. Barnum used to say.........

Thanks for your input. I would only consider used If I could find something significantly cheaper than the same vehicle new, and with less than 10k miles. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas_Made