2015 Tahoe Wired Headphone "design" issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwesel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ. I have been having issues using wired headphones with the entertainment system. (my 4yo daughter insists on using her princess headphones instead of the wireless). Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

After many frustrated trips with the kids, I finally figured out that it had something to do with the screen being up or down when the vehicle was started. Took it to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the issue. They worked with their contacts at GM and after a couple of days and program updates, GM told them that the system is working as designed.

Dealer/GM is telling me if I want the wired headphones to work, the screen needs to be up and the headphones need to be unplugged when the vehicle is started. Has anyone had to stop at a rest stop or for gas while on a road trip when the entertainment system is being used? This does not seem like a logical design or a logical workaround.

Has anyone experienced this issue or been told this story from their dealer?

kcwood247

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ. I have been having issues using wired headphones with the entertainment system. (my 4yo daughter insists on using her princess headphones instead of the wireless). Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

After many frustrated trips with the kids, I finally figured out that it had something to do with the screen being up or down when the vehicle was started. Took it to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the issue. They worked with their contacts at GM and after a couple of days and program updates, GM told them that the system is working as designed.

Dealer/GM is telling me if I want the wired headphones to work, the screen needs to be up and the headphones need to be unplugged when the vehicle is started. Has anyone had to stop at a rest stop or for gas while on a road trip when the entertainment system is being used? This does not seem like a logical design or a logical workaround.

Has anyone experienced this issue or been told this story from their dealer?

Yep. Have same issue (but my daughter is 3 - probably not root cause). I tried different headphones (Princess vs Frozen vs Mickey, different brands, kids vs Bose quiet comfort), adding different audio extension cables, and multiple "order of operations" tests (let vehicle sit, turn on and let fully boot before starting a Blu-Ray, etc.). At one point we thought we had it fixed if we left the driver side door open when we turned it on, but that didn't hold up forever.

We never did get to a fix. We were more concerned about the vibrations with 22's, center console rattle, flickering LEDs, mismatched headlights, dealership tech backing into it while in the shop, etc.

I guess we should've put the screen up and unplugged the headphones every time we got into the vehicle. I mean isn't it obvious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bwesel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Further Issues

I have reluctantly obliged to the, screen up- headphones unplugged practice, even though it is 150% inconvenient. There have been many times I have pulled away without doing it, and I hear "the headphones are not working", so I pull over, turn off the vehicle and start the process over.

Now that it is cold and remote start is in the picture, even with the screen up before I remote start the vehicle- the wired headphones will not work.

I even contacted GM, to which I got a "we'll enter a voice of the customer ticket for you". Has anyone who has been experiencing this gotten anywhere with their dealer?

mommy44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are having the same problem on our 2 week old 2015 yukon!!! On our way home from a 4 hour drive and thankful I found your post. I am totally with you that this is a design issue that at the very list should be noted in the car's manual! We are also having a problem with the hatch going up and coming back down. We are visiting the dealer when we get back home for sure. This is our first GM vehicle and I am not happy so far!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myoung84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has this been resolved in the 2016 models? I have not had a change to try it out yet.

tarheelblue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hadn't tried wired headphones at all yet so I just tried this in my 2016 Suburban LTZ. Car had been off for about 2 hours. Stepped in, turned on ignition and the movie started playing automatically over the speakers. Screen was already down. Waited a few secs and plugged in headphones. No sound for about 2 secs and then I got sound.

Test 2 - Left screen down and headphones plugged in. Turned off car, exited and locked doors. Then got back in and started car. Audio immediately from movie on headphones. Front seat was also set to movie. Turned on radio and headphones kept working while radio played over speakers.

Test 3
Repeat test 2 and radio came on over speakers. After the DVD booted up and started playing on the rear screen the headphones played DVD audio.

In short, working the way any normal person would think it should. Let me know if I didn't repeat the exact conditions that cause your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

myoung84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!

I was able to do some testing last night and came up with the same results. I ordered some small travel size speakers that I will hang over my kids car seat hard wired to the headphone jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natenate