2015 Tahoe w/ 66k miles - just had to replace transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdjbd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had 2 years and 12k miles of trouble-free use and we also babied the truck.

When buying the truck I was trying to decide between the Tahoe or a 4-runner and I regret the choice I made.

I have a 2003 Suburban, purchased new. Normal maintenance along with one water pump and an intake gasket is the worst that’s ever happened to it.

Go to the Toyota forums and see if ALL are happy with their buying decisions...

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't help you but my 99 5.7 just turned over 205k and no tranny probs at all.
I had a 95 Tahoe 5.7 with over 200k that I drove for 5 years with reverse slipping. It would idle in reverse fine so parking lots were ok but had to be careful where I parked.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
I blows my mind that the newer transmisions are going out so early. The 4l60s are giving owners over 200k miles trouble free.

Post up some pics of their findings.
My 4L60 in my 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 went at 81K. I had a GM Reman installed at the dealer. They offered a Service-for-Life if I brought it back to them for service. At 135K I took it back to them because the 3rd/4th gear package failed. I know others in the area (Washington DC/MD/VA) who have had the same problems. The 3/4 failure is a well known problem.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2008 Tahoe is at 100k and acting fine. Seems I'm reading reasons to not consider upgrading, that is besides the fact that the prices have doubled.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
My 4L60 in my 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 went at 81K. I had a GM Reman installed at the dealer. They offered a Service-for-Life if I brought it back to them for service. At 135K I took it back to them because the 3rd/4th gear package failed. I know others in the area (Washington DC/MD/VA) who have had the same problems. The 3/4 failure is a well known problem.

Who every owned it prior to you must have been ******* the tranny, my 4l65e just past 180k and no issues as of yet, knock on wood.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
08 had 140k on it when I traded. No issues
13 had 130k no issues
16 had 170k no issues. It’s the only one I ever serviced according to recommendations to comply with dealers lifetime power train warranty.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
There is a known issue with the torque converter in the 8 speed for 2015. GM issued a TSB for it and will cover the repairs. Mine went at 103,000 and I got them to cover 80% of the repair. For anyone running the 8l90 use Amsoil trans fluid. It makes a huge difference in how it runs. I have 163k on mine now and I beat on it with a slightly modified 6.2L. With a few programming changes and Amsoil the 8 speed is the best trans I’ve had to date. I had to rebuild the trans in my 03 Suburban 4 times. The last time I got tired of the crap and had it rebuilt by a race shop owned by a buddy of mine. I only have 360k on the 03. I have to keep it for a couple hundred more to get my money out of the trans. LOL

AJ_Victory_27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Traded up my ‘02 Tahoe (220k, 5.3 Vortec) for a ‘15 Yukon in 2020 (103k then 6-speed, 5.3 Ecotec). 139k now and after doing trans fluid service in April, started experiencing violent shaking at 77-85 MPH. Trans slipping, hard shifts and dealer said trans was shot - fluid did smell burned (6-speed Auto). Almost $6 Grand later and still getting similar shaking, vibration in steering wheel, seat of your pants, Instrument Panel, et. Al. Do any of you have any thoughts on the shaking? It’s worse under load (up-hill). Could this have been something else all along?

gmc-chevy-suks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this thread's got a few years, but I think I've got everyone beat on gmc/Tahoe expenses and repairs.
I made the mistake of buying a 2015 Tahoe LTZ back in late 2014 for 61k. Traded in perfectly good 2007 Honda Odessey, what was i thinking?!
Biggest repairs have been:
1. new engine (more than $10,000), does not include additional parts needing replacement
2. new trans ($6000),
3. 6 magnetic struts replaced (about $5,000 - I've ended up over the years replacing 6 of them!!),
4. steering column replaced under warranty (only thing free - required 4 visits - not free )
5. cheap plastic side panels that fall off replaced (~$500), i glued one the other two after i learned my lesson.
6. had to repaint hood cuz of cheap defected chevy/gmc paint ($1,000)
7. I fixed the stupid rear DVD entertainment video cable issue by myself ($40).
8. front sway bar replaced (i forget maybe $600, prob more)
9. multiple co2 sensors replaced and thermostat ($800)
10. 2 condensers replaced, got refunded on 1 of them due to gmc extension ($1600)
11. catalytic converter replaced under warranty (free)
12. punctured fuel line leak ($800)
13. Compressor replaced (forgot $$$)
14. New Battery, alternator and water pump (due to pulley noise) (over $2,000)

Total repairs around $30k.

My dad says I'm Chevy's greatest customer, but they sure as hell don't treat me like it.

This does not include upgrades done or normal wear and tear of the POS vehicle. Also does not include various rentals I had to get becuz the dealership is so cheap they don't do loaners, so they say. When searching online, they say the most expensive car to own is a Porsch at 15k worth of repairs and maintenance within the first 10 years, well my chevy has sure as hell surpassed that and i only wish my repairs and maintenance would have been that cheap.

My truck is working for now cuz I've replaced everything that i shouldn't have (should have replaced owner) and has been working like it should. The only reason i did this is because the repairs didn't all happen at once, and i need a large vehicle for my large family. But i really should have got rid of it within the first 1 or 2 years. Large SUV prices have sky rocketed, and didn't want to have to downgrade cuz i bought a friggin lemon. I did buy a afm/dfm disabler https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/, after my engine got catastrophic damage from the lifter defect everyone talks about. It took me about 135k miles before i noticed that issue. Happened immediately after my transmission got replaced with a remanufactured one. God help us GMC / Chevy owners :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milano_II