2015 Tahoe..Transmission pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like loosening the bolts on the exhaust flange is easier, is this the case? I'm going to do this maint. very soon on my 2015. Looking for pointers or suggestions for doing this in the driveway. Thanks.

Also, it seems like if something gets screwed up having a shop fix the exhaust seems cheaper than fixing the transmission mounts.....?

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems like loosening the bolts on the exhaust flange is easier, is this the case? I'm going to do this maint. very soon on my 2015. Looking for pointers or suggestions for doing this in the driveway. Thanks.

Also, it seems like if something gets screwed up having a shop fix the exhaust seems cheaper than fixing the transmission mounts.....?

Its been awhile since I did it. I think I did it in conjunction of jacking the trans up. Just be sure you have something to remove the old filter seal. A straight 8” pipe with a 90 and another 5” sections works well. If your going to loosen the exhaust bolts use a 6 point socket not a 12.

image.jpg

Last edited:

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I did it. I think I did it in conjunction of jacking the trans up. Just be sure you have something to remove the old filter seal. A straight 8” pipe with a 90 and another 5” sections works well. If your going to loosen the exhaust bolts use a 6 point socket not a 12.

View attachment 239675

Obviously I haven't done this before. I understand using the 6 point vs. the 12 point socket on the exhaust bolts but I'm not sure what the homebrew 90* pipe is for? Also, the old filter seal you are talking about is the one inside the transmission pain...correct?

Almanor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am about to do the tranny service too...read a lot and watched a lot of you tube video. I am a bit worried about trying to loosen the exhaust and breaking a bolt/nut off. I was going to strap the exhaust pipe to the cross bar behind the tranny...then loosen the rear of the tranny and carefully/slowly jack up the rear of the tranny while the exhaust is tied down.

anybody tried that to get the clearance for pan removal? I bought a new PLM cast pan with a drain plug to replace the original factory pan to avoid this hassle next time.

any comments, suggestions, warnings or thoughts would be appreciated...

OP...hopefully this helps us both...not trying to thread hijack...

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Obviously I haven't done this before. I understand using the 6 point vs. the 12 point socket on the exhaust bolts but I'm not sure what the homebrew 90* pipe is for? Also, the old filter seal you are talking about is the one inside the transmission pain...correct?

so as pnw said. You’ll take the 8” pipe and TAP IT to contact the filter seal. Once it bites the old seal turn the pipe into the old seal and it will thread onto it. Once its pretty snugged on there attach the 90 and the short piece. The purpose of the short piece is to hit with a hammer and tap it down and out. The seal will pop right out. Just make sure the pipe is center in the hole before you tap it so it doesn’t hit the side of the hole and only hit the seal. And yes this seal is in the throat where the filter comes out. It will be obvious once you remove the old filter

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that seal would be such a pain. Thanks for the info guys.

What size is that 8" and 5" pipe? (diameter and thread)

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't realize that seal would be such a pain. Thanks for the info guys.

What size is that 8" and 5" pipe? (diameter and thread)
3/4” not sure of the pitch im sure any coarse thread will work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz