2015 Tahoe new tires rubbing sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a new set of tires for my 2015 Tahoe LTZ with the 22" factory wheels. I went up in size to fill out the wheel well a little better. I went from a 285/45/22 to a 305/45/22. It looks great and rides fantastic, but I just noticed a little rubbing on the sway bar last night. It doesn't appear to be too bad, but obviously I would like to fix it. My initial thoughts are that I can fix it with 1/4-1/2" spacers. They wouldn't be too big so not too much altering of the geometry but might provide just enough space to get the tires off the sway bar. Anyone run small spacers on their vehicle?

Here are two pics of the sway bar and where it's being rubbed with a quarter for size comparison.

PXL_20220926_222102234.jpgPXL_20220926_222144114.jpg

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With bar having two places rubbed looks like smaller size tire rubbed also.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With bar having two places rubbed looks like smaller size tire rubbed also.
That's a good point. I have no idea what it looked like before I changed the tires.

However, I can hear it rub the sway bar now and as far as I remember, I never heard any rubbing with the smaller tires. Family noticed it too so I'm assuming it didn't rub before.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this rubbing only on turning full lock? On both sides of the sway bar or just one side? If it was just me driving it and rubs when turning I'd leave it as is, remember to not go full lock when possible. I don't like spacers. If only on one side of the bar I'd try to move it over in the bushings some. Can't get much but might be just enough.

Last edited:

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post of pics of the new tires. I was considering bumping up to a 305/45/22 also.

Does your steering response feel more “squishy” or delayed with the new taller tire size?

I have stock 22’s with 285/45/22 tires and my stock wheels and tires rub the front sway bar. I’ve got a minor drop on mine though; lowered about 1-1/2” front and 2-3/4” rear.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this rubbing only on turning full lock? On both sides of the sway bar or just one side?
I believe I can hear some rubbing when taking corners a little aggressively which is not at full lock. And, it is rubbing on both sides.

Post of pics of the new tires. I was considering bumping up to a 305/45/22 also.

Does your steering response feel more “squishy” or delayed with the new taller tire size?
I don't think it feels any more "squishy" than before. I actually commented to my wife that I feel more connected to the road. However, these tires are replacing a set that was down to 2/32" well before warranty, so that is what I'm comparing to.
Here's a pic I just took. It's actually my wife's car so that's why it's so dirty. :)

PXL_20220927_195634502.MP.jpg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a baby rub. My Michelin tires are original and have 51,000 miles on them with the factory 18" wheels. I can see minor rubbing on the wheel liners as well.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a baby rub. My Michelin tires are original and have 51,000 miles on them with the factory 18" wheels. I can see minor rubbing on the wheel liners as well.
Are you saying yours rub the fender liners in the wheel well? If that was the case I wouldn't be concerned as those are just plastic. However, these are rubbing on metal, granted it's smooth metal. But metal vs. rubber, metal will win.

The car we bought for my son had some giant tires on it that rubbed the body underneath. There was literally a cut line all the way around the tire from where the metal had "dug" it out over time. That's what I'm afraid of. Here's a picture of the tire we took off his car.

PXL_20220213_001502686.jpg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying yours rub the fender liners in the wheel well? If that was the case I wouldn't be concerned as those are just plastic. However, these are rubbing on metal, granted it's smooth metal. But metal vs. rubber, metal will win.

The car we bought for my son had some giant tires on it that rubbed the body underneath. There was literally a cut line all the way around the tire from where the metal had "dug" it out over time. That's what I'm afraid of. Here's a picture of the tire we took off his car.

View attachment 381528

I have never heard them rub but I can see tiny rub marks on the fender liner.
You're right metal is stronger than rubber but your rubber isn't solid either and if it rubs at full lock that's a rare event. I wouldn't worry about it personally and especially wouldn't introduce wheel spacers to your mix. The 1/4" wheel spacer you are talking about isn't a bolt on spacer either and will just give you less threads for your lug nuts to engage. Totally not worth!