2015 Tahoe Long Term test - Before you purchase become informed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a session of Congress in here. just my honest opinion lol

I had a 2015 Tahoe. Bought brand new in May 2014. owned until May 2018
-53 miles to 42k miles in 4yrs
-over 10 recalls performed in first 2yrs of ownership. another 3 in last year I owned it.
-exhaust check valve squeak (wired it open and noise stopped)
-replaced battery at 2yrs 1 month (22k miles). died randomly in Walmart parking lot
-AC condenser leaked and system quit working
-radio quit working utterly twice (software update issues that required hard reset)
-driver seat clunk (fixed with hose clamp and rubber piece)

Averaged 12-15 mpg for 2yrs in Hawaii city traffic. always garaged when home. during cross country trip from CA to CT I averaged 21 mpg on the highway. got 15mpg mixed driving here in CT and easily over 22mpg highways driving.

pretty much it. I changed the oil roughly every 6k miles. I replaced the tires at 32k miles because I got a good deal and wanted fresh rubber for winter. Still had tread and I actually sold the old rubber for $200 on Craigslist. Brake pads had well over 1/2 life left. I don't slam on brakes to stop, so I usually get high mileage from all my vehicles between pad changes.

overall, was an excellent vehicle. Only real reason we got rid of it was because of 3rd row legroom. Kids are older and we wanted a Suburban. So I bought a 2017 Suburban. Which is also a phenomenal rig as well. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

The only thing that really pisses me off is the AC condenser. Chevy really screwed over their customers with this. Even with the free repair, it's a crap deal. Newer versions are even better rigs. Most of the kinks got worked out by us early 2015 buyers lol.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the OP's intent was to get on here to bash his ownership experience, however it could come across that way since auto forums are littered with posters who create accounts simply to complain.
It could have been poor wording by the OP. The thread title is provocative and suggests that there's something you'll be missing out on unless you read the article. Versus defining and offering the experience he had as a reference. It makes it come off as a smear post even if it wasn't supposed to be.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is the person who posted the post has had all theses issue and the suv has 90000 miles on it. If it were a Toyota would it would it have all there isssue or be a better suv.
Though I don’t own a current generation GM, I like reading through these posts about the latest gen trucks. Some really good info in this particular thread without bashing each other based on the information. What I will say about this reply from Jorge, everyone acts like Toyota is so perfect and so much better than GM. And personally I think that’s a really closed minded approach. I’ve had Toyota’s dodges and now my gmc. All have had their flaws. Toyota included. So to say that a Toyota won’t have issues like a Chevy will and a Chevy isn’t as reliable as a Toyota is, is pretty ignorant. My .02.... lol