2015 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyingBuckeye3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2015 Suburban LTZ with 82k miles on the clock. We're about 8 hours away from the dealer so we've had to resort to pictures and videos, wanted to gauge expertise. I can't figure out how to upload the video, but it has a fairly sharp tick as you get close to the engine (hood open, moving the phone from side to side of the engine.) I'm paranoid it's a lifter issue, but curious if the injectors are loud on the 5.3s (my BMW 335 is gas, sounds like a diesel.)

Also, dealer says it doesn't have AFM, is AFM standard on all Tahoe/Suburban or was it an option? Is there a website I can run the VIN to learn exactly option I'm dealing with?

Thank you!

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, its amazing dealers have no clue about the vehicles that they sell.

yes it has AFM & its standard
it can be disabled w/ a Range device or w/ a tune (BBP, HP tuner, etc)

DI motors can have injector noise. some seem to be louder than others.

eta:
have a chat w/ mechanic @ dealer w/o the sales person there ;)
they can give you the down low

OP
OP
F

FlyingBuckeye3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To make it even worse, it’s at a GM dealership. His reasoning behind why it doesn’t have AFM “It would come up V4 on the dash, and it’s not doing that” as he drove it around the dealer lot. From my experience (of driving a Suburban for 1 day), AFM really only came on when driving on the interstate. We also live in the country, so a lot of hills and turns.

I’m going to attribute the ticking to DI, as it was pretty sharp. I can’t help but compare it to my DI car, pretty similar. Any time I’ve experienced a lifter, it’s been dull sounding.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2015 Suburban LTZ with 82k miles on the clock. We're about 8 hours away from the dealer so we've had to resort to pictures and videos, wanted to gauge expertise. I can't figure out how to upload the video, but it has a fairly sharp tick as you get close to the engine (hood open, moving the phone from side to side of the engine.) I'm paranoid it's a lifter issue, but curious if the injectors are loud on the 5.3s (my BMW 335 is gas, sounds like a diesel.)

Also, dealer says it doesn't have AFM, is AFM standard on all Tahoe/Suburban or was it an option? Is there a website I can run the VIN to learn exactly option I'm dealing with?

Thank you!

Did you see the service records? If no I would pass.

I for one am not comfortable buying a vehicle sight unseen plus I would want a Mobile Mechanic or a good Independent Mechanic to check it out.

I would pass and try to find a Suburban within a few hours of your location so you can check it out thoroughly and a mechanic can give his opinion.

To make matters worse this dealer has no clue about AFM. I hate to think about the vehicles this dealer is servicing.

There is more lifter noise in the 2015+vehicles but not that bad. On cold mornings with low temps it is loud but calms down a bid after warming up.

Service records is a must! If oil changes are neglected [or wrong grade used] you could have major lifter issues immediately. The oil should also be Dexros Approved.

All that IMHO.

OP
OP
F

FlyingBuckeye3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you see the service records? If no I would pass.

I for one am not comfortable buying a vehicle sight unseen plus I would want a Mobile Mechanic or a good Independent Mechanic to check it out.

I would pass and try to find a Suburban within a few hours of your location so you can check it out thoroughly and a mechanic can give his opinion.

To make matters worse this dealer has no clue about AFM. I hate to think about the vehicles this dealer is servicing.

There is more lifter noise in the 2015+vehicles but not that bad. On cold mornings with low temps it is loud but calms down a bid after warming up.

Service records is a must! If oil changes are neglected [or wrong grade used] you could have major lifter issues immediately. The oil should also be Dexros Approved.

All that IMHO.
I’ll be honest, service records are incomplete. Spotty oil changes, which I know can lead to AFM issues. That said, I know I do all my own oil changes and maintenance, none of which will show on a Carfax and I don’t log oil changes. I know I’ve been thorough, but I know I can’t assume that’s what has happened with this vehicle.

I wish I could find one around me that’s furnished similarly at a reasonable price. Tahoes and Suburbans are easily $4,000-$5,000 more in my area than this one, which is about 15% higher (I’m talking $5k higher on a $30k vehicle, not $70k new model.)

I think you said what I know I should do and look for, just not what I want to hear LoL

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please be VERY careful in your final decision.
Have you done any research regarding this dealership? Are they reputable.
I had troubles of my own when purchasing my 2015 LTZ from Chevy dealer in Mass.
They listed it as CPO and I found all sorts of things messed up that would fail the GM CPO checklist.
Ie: Washer sprayer not working, no spare tire, no rear window defrost, leaking front struts, dented wheel rim, missing video accessories, off the top of my head. After going up the chain to the Manager of the Dealership, I discovered that EVERY SINGLE vehicle that comes in as a trade-in is turned around and offered as a CPO!

My 2 cents - PASS on this Suburban, there ARE more out there. 2017+ years would probably be a little more reliable in terms of failed parts, problems moving forward.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, service records are incomplete. Spotty oil changes, which I know can lead to AFM issues. That said, I know I do all my own oil changes and maintenance, none of which will show on a Carfax and I don’t log oil changes. I know I’ve been thorough, but I know I can’t assume that’s what has happened with this vehicle.

I wish I could find one around me that’s furnished similarly at a reasonable price. Tahoes and Suburbans are easily $4,000-$5,000 more in my area than this one, which is about 15% higher (I’m talking $5k higher on a $30k vehicle, not $70k new model.)

I think you said what I know I should do and look for, just not what I want to hear LoL

Get a warranty or self insure. We saved a bundle too by buying from another market and the truck has been great. Experience was so good, we did it again, this time even further away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu