2015 Escalade ESV Lemon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought my wife an Escalade about three years ago, and although it's very comfortable to take long trips in, it always seems to have a problem. While it was under extended warranty, it was okay because we would just bring it in and mostly fix whatever was wrong with it, but that expired. Lately, it's been an extraordinary pain in the butt.

I think we're having an electoral or a security problem that degenerates to the point that the car won't start until you remove the negative terminal on the battery, and then it goes back to normal. This trick used to last for a month...than a week...and now it's down to a few days. She carries a 10mm socket to perform the procedure when it doesn't start. It acts like the battery is going dead because it has a hard time turning over until, eventually, it just won't even try to turn over. You'd think it was dead because no dash or dome lights come on, but as soon as we pull the wire off the battery for a second and reattach it, it starts like the battery is brand new. Has anyone had this problem before?

I'm done with this thing. It's been scary a few times because it's happened while on soccer trips with my daughter at night when they're far from home. I want to sell this thing but I don't want to pass it to anyone until I figure out why it's doing this.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To solve this you need a bi-directional scan tool (not a Tech-2) to pull any internal BCM codes and follow the troubleshooting guide. Was this happening before the battery was replaced? My first thought was the battery, that the post is not connecting to the internals properly, but what do I know from over here, sitting in my chair, when you're over there! LOL

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'll take any advice that I can get. I wonder if there is something wrong with this battery now. It's a Duralast Platinum, and they just had to replace about eight months ago.

Any recommendations on a cheap bi-directional tool I can buy? I hate to spend thousands on a tool I'm only going to use once in a while.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replace the battery cable. It has high internal resistance, it’s a common problem. Replace the negative and the short positive on top of the battery and you’ll be good.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, 91RS... I will do that. I just returned from the parts store and had them test the battery. The guy said the battery didn't fail, but it didn't pass either. It should have 760 CCA but was only pulling 430. He gave me a new one because it has a 3-year warranty, thank God. One thing finally went right for me. Anyway, I threw that in, and we'll watch it. In the meantime I will replace those wires you recommended.

I really appreciate the help, guys...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a scan tool that communicates with all body modules, you’ll find a B1325 in a bunch of them and that’s battery cables 99% of the time. These things are super sensitive due to all the electronics they have and the electric power steering.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great information. I'll pull those codes and look for those codes. The catalytic convert needs to be replaced, so that'll be the next project.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great information. I'll pull those codes and look for those codes. The catalytic convert needs to be replaced, so that'll be the next project.
How many miles on the cats and oxygen sensors? Why do you say the catalytic converter needs replaced?

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the cats and oxygen sensors? Why do you say the catalytic converter needs replaced?

When I pulled the codes, it said I had a PO430 error on Bank 2. This car has about 120k miles on it. It happened right after my wife got some bad gas on a trip out of town, and I can't clear it. Every once in a while, the engine light will go out for a day, but then it comes back on.

One crazy idea I had was to pull the upper O2 sensor out and spray a bunch of Seafoam down to it and let it sit for an hour. Any harm in that?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have no idea of any harm but I would not do that. That is just guess work. Unburned fuel can get in the exhaust and cause cat problems, so unburned Seafoam sprayed in there and then start does not make sense to me. Bank 2 cat not working properly was likely detected by the rear sensor on that side. If you were keeping, I would just do the cat(s) and the sensors but if you are getting rid of, well that is up to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442