2015-2019 5.3 any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2016 LT Certified with 26,000 miles on it two years ago. It has 48,000 on it now. Shark fin leaked and was repaired under warranty. Fuel injector malfunctioned and was replaced under warranty. AC went out and condenser, rear evaporator and lines leading to rear were replaced under warranty. All that in year one. Year two the truck runs like a dream with 0 issues. Just back from a 1200 mile trip with no issues.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a used Tahoe. I currently own a 2004 Tahoe with 220k miles. No problems, but want to upgrade. I have heard so many people complain about the DOD/AFM and a/c issues with the newer Tahoe's. Are they even close to being as reliable as the 2001-2006 5.3 Tahoe's?

It's a powerful motor. I can't imagine how much quicker a 6.2 is with nearly 1 whole extra liter of displacement is! (0.9!)

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM is way more reliable in this generation but it really comes down to maintenance. Did the previous owner change the oil in a timely fashion? Dirty oil, the wrong oil, is AFMs worst enemy.

I had stuck lifters at like 20k and always changed my oil more frequently than the schedule called for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
68K on my 2016 with zero issues - but this is an ineffective way to gather data for your question. You're on an internet forum where you will get n=1 responses from a group of people in which problems are overrepresented compared to the overall owner population.

The 5.3 is a massively used engine, as someone above said. It's in literally millions of cars, well understood, doesn't break much, reasonably easy to fix when it does, and not terribly expensive to service.

I do somewhat fear the secondary market for any vehicle that might in the interpretation of a previous owner be fit for heavy towing or anything you might call "work." You can't really be sure what these trucks might have been subjected to and it's possible to screw up any piece of machinery if you set yourself to it.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck?

Edit: just realized you were asking about 5.3. My 6.2 had lifter issues. I don’t believe my 5.3 did but that was a bunch of years ago so I can’t recall.

Last edited:

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2017 LT 5.3 and the only issue was the ac, fixed under warranty.

Previous car was a Hemi Charger 5.7, and I am still amazed at the power when I stomp the gas in my Tahoe

Friend of mine was telling me to get the 6.2, and I'll agree it's a Beast, but I don't need anymore HP, other than a tune after 60k miles when my warranty expires.

So I'm a happy 5.3 owner, and yes I know that having 53k miles on a 2017 is kinda laughable lol I just don't drive much....

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LT 5.3 is the next gen small block. Newer is better. More refined more bugs worked out . More torque, HP & fuel mileage.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Edit: just realized you were asking about 5.3. My 6.2 had lifter issues. I don’t believe my 5.3 did but that was a bunch of years ago so I can’t recall.

You sure its a 16?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts