2014 Tahoe LTZ radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Areon Atkinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im replacing the factory touch screen with a pioneer avh 600ex and I have a couple questions. I already have the unit, wire harness, and e brake bypass.
1. Will I need a dash kit
2. Do I really need the retain on star kit
Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes you need a install kit to mount the radio, not sure on the onstar part of it and by that I don't know how much of it is integrated with the vehicle on the 2014, best to ask whoever you buy the radio interface module from

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without it you will lose your factory warning chimes, turn signal chimes, Rear Parking Assist chime, steering wheel controls, and Onstar, if you can live without all of the above then you are good to go

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the 2014 is. But on my '08, I used a non-OnStar interface and it worked fine. I mean, all the warning chimes, turn signal tocks, etc. work fine and that's all I need cuz I don't use OnStar.

OP
OP
Areon Atkinson

Areon Atkinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes you need a install kit to mount the radio, not sure on the onstar part of it and by that I don't know how much of it is integrated with the vehicle on the 2014, best to ask whoever you buy the radio interface module from
Thanks

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I’m wrong then...

Just curious what harness is everyone using? On my 2013 I went with the iDatalink Maestro GM5+ Harness, it retained everything, including onstar(not that I care about or ever use onstar) but iDatalink did not offer a separate harness just for onstar or one that retained everything except onstar

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just curious what harness is everyone using? On my 2013 I went with the iDatalink Maestro GM5+ Harness, it retained everything, including onstar(not that I care about or ever use onstar) but iDatalink did not offer a separate harness just for onstar or one that retained everything except onstar

You're not really "wrong". Maybe just read his question differently than others did. I read it as him knowing he'd need a harness of some sort (technically an "interface") but was asking if he needed one that, in addition to all the other features, retains OnStar. You have what I consider to be the "Crown Jewel" of interfaces and they make it retain everything and if it was used on a model that didn't have some features, it wouldn't matter.

I first had an Axxess GMOS-LAN-01 that was for OnStar but non-amplified trucks. It worked fine in my Tahoe that has OnStar and Bose. The only "quirk" was that each volume step was excessive. It was as loud as I'd ever wanna push it with the Pioneer's volume at "15". I probably could've soldered male RCAs to the speaker wires and plugged them into the Pioneer's low-level outputs and it would've been just right. I never tried the OnStar button, though. I'm currently using an older PAC C2RGM29 that is for OnStar and amp'ed and non-amp'ed cars. PAC specifies that it'll work in a non-OnStar vehicle or in an OnStar-equipped vehicle even if OnStar isn't activated.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also am using the maestro rr and gm5 on my 2012 Denali, it has a couple glitches but ADS is working on that with me

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also am using the maestro rr and gm5 on my 2012 Denali, it has a couple glitches but ADS is working on that with me
I was mistaken on this, I am actually using the gm2 harness on my 2012 but it gets flashed with gm5 firmware, the gm2 harness just retains the all the nav and onstar, rear entertainment.