2014 GMC Yukon XL Hitting Factory Upper Control Arm Bump Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just bought a 2014 Yukon XL and trying to toughen it up a little more from its factory look.
I purchased a CCM 2.5" Leveling kit for the front and a 1" spacer for the rear.

http://www.ccmoffroad.com/2007-2015-chevy-tahoe-gmc-yukon-2-5-leveling-lift-kit/
large_38_CHEVY_SUV__99658.1340554992.220.220.jpg

After installing the Strut / Spring spacers at the top (the ones in black) I am having issues trying to reinstall the struts back in as its hitting the upper control arm not allowing me to put it back into place!!

I have attached a the picture of the front divers side suspension and the issues I am having.
Has anybody experienced this?
Should I cut the upper control arm bump stop??

Thanks!

2014-GMC-Yukon-CCM-2.5-Leveling-Kit.jpg

OP
OP
E

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
The spacer is ~1.75" tall but with the suspension it is supposed to come out to ~2.5" lift.

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have that kit but I don't think cutting the bumb stop is needed. Is the top bolting in or can't you get it up far enough?

OP
OP
E

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
So I figured out what to do to get it in there!! Hopefully the solution helps others in the future!

I ended up loosening the upper control arm bolt. The bolt that is towards the front bumper can be loosened and pulled out giving you enough clearance to successfully get it in there!

Once I got the strut on the lower control arm I used a pin to line up the bolt holes initially then used a jack to compress the spring to the correct angle to put in bolts and used a 36" pry bar to help align the bolt holes and successfully screw them in.

Final measurements from ground to fender are

Stock height with 265/70R17 tires

Front 35.5"
Rear 38"

After leveling kit

Front 38.25"
Rear 39"

Alignment was successfully put to within tolerance

OP
OP
E

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
Also by loosening the upper control arm bolt ( closest to the front of he vehicle) allowed me to get it in there with out any cutting of the bump stop or using a spring compressor ..

I attached the top of the strut first wtth the top rear 2 bolts lightly installed so the strut could pivot slightly then worked on the bottom part. There was no way to install the bottom first and then the top!

I hope this helps some people if they decide to do a leveling kit and can't the front springs / struts back in!

Next up... 33" tires 285/70R17 A/T load range E tires !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos