2013 Tahoe with Air Load leveling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTK41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, My 2013 Tahoe (with Towing and Air Load Leveling System) seems to be having issue with the load leveling pump running more than it used to. It now runs for 20-30 seconds every time I start the vehicle, and sometimes after driving for awhile. When I hook up a trailer, It runs for a long time at start up, and frequently thereafter even while driving.

I suspect that I've got a leak somewhere but don't really know how to check for the leaks beyond spraying soapy water on everything. I am not getting any warning lights, nor any codes from my code reader. I'm here asking for guidance because I've not been able to find any good information on this online in terms of how to check for a problem, or in helping me narrow the problem through experiences of others (ie: Everyone is seeing that the shocks leak, or a fitting loosens, or a line splits, etc). Though I do see a lot of information on people having issues with the load leveling system in general.

Can anyone point me to a forum post, a different online resource, videos, etc? I'm completely comfortable removing, replacing, troubleshooting, but have not dealt with the air leveling systems before, so looking for some guidance to get started and don't want to overlook anything simple..

I suspect it is just a slow leak somewhere that is made worse under heavy load... but would like to get this addressed. Thanks in advance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, My 2013 Tahoe (with Towing and Air Load Leveling System) seems to be having issue with the load leveling pump running more than it used to. It now runs for 20-30 seconds every time I start the vehicle, and sometimes after driving for awhile. When I hook up a trailer, It runs for a long time at start up, and frequently thereafter even while driving.

I suspect that I've got a leak somewhere but don't really know how to check for the leaks beyond spraying soapy water on everything. I am not getting any warning lights, nor any codes from my code reader. I'm here asking for guidance because I've not been able to find any good information on this online in terms of how to check for a problem, or in helping me narrow the problem through experiences of others (ie: Everyone is seeing that the shocks leak, or a fitting loosens, or a line splits, etc). Though I do see a lot of information on people having issues with the load leveling system in general.

Can anyone point me to a forum post, a different online resource, videos, etc? I'm completely comfortable removing, replacing, troubleshooting, but have not dealt with the air leveling systems before, so looking for some guidance to get started and don't want to overlook anything simple..

I suspect it is just a slow leak somewhere that is made worse under heavy load... but would like to get this addressed. Thanks in advance.
99% chance it is the air-shock/s leaking they just get worn out over time (bladder gets worn), Arnott makes a replacement with lifetime warranty that cost's about 1/2 of new oem ones
you can find them on rockauto.
the remaining 1% chance is potentially the pump is leaking internally, the lines leaking would be VERY rare.
you can check the shocks with soap&water and watch for bubbles

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
When my system failed I had leaky bags on the shocks but the vent valve on the pump was also shot. I replaced the shocks and compressor with Arnott parts. I also replaced the lines with a new GM set.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Do the soap test, as recommended by folks above. You should find a leak on one or both rear shocks. If you do, replace them sooner than later, or you will end up replacing the compressor too, as it may run itself to death trying to maintain air pressure to the shocks.

SURF FISH MAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I too experienced long compressor runs depending on the 27ft camper (with WDH) position on a hill, etc.
My dealer checked and found nothing wrong.
While pulling the camper 2 months later and several states away a shock failed along with compressor corroded and leaking.
Both shocks and compressor replaced OEM $2900 with bill under extended warranty, Whew!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too experienced long compressor runs depending on the 27ft camper (with WDH) position on a hill, etc.
My dealer checked and found nothing wrong.
While pulling the camper 2 months later and several states away a shock failed along with compressor corroded and leaking.
Both shocks and compressor replaced OEM $2900 with bill under extended warranty, Whew!
What year vehicle do you have?

$2900 for shocks and an air compressor? Wow!

I’m glad I can do this in my driveway. If I use Arnott remand and either an Arnott or Dorman compressor, the parts are right $600 and 1 hour of my time.

RedInCo

Reaction score
You mentioned that the pump runs more often with the trailer hooked up. That might give you another way to locate the leak. Hook up your trailer, let it pump up, shut off the car and listen for the leak. When I was having trouble with mine, I found the normal pressure is in the 25-30 range, and over 150 with the trailer hitched, so a leak would be much more vigorous then.

But still, it's probably the shocks as the other posts here say. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518