2013 Tahoe lowering advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalBeardSolid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks new here, I have a 2013 Tahoe LT 2WD and I want to lower it. I will eventually be running a 22-24” wheel so I’d like to know what’s a recommendation for how low I can go without ruining my ride quality. This is our family car the will be taking long trips in and I will also be towing my race truck around at times. Just curious what my lowering options are and favored brands of kits along with strut/shock recommendations. TIA!!!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at some of the rigs pictured on the site. A 2/3, 2/4, or 3/5 is common. Several vendors have 2” drop spindles and 3 or 4” springs out back. Assuming you have auto ride suspension the rear shocks will air up when you hook up your trailer. Arnott makes good shocks and struts if they need replacing. The kits should come with shock extenders. Others will chime in with suggestions on free travel mods or other considerations.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks new here, I have a 2013 Tahoe LT 2WD and I want to lower it. I will eventually be running a 22-24” wheel so I’d like to know what’s a recommendation for how low I can go without ruining my ride quality. This is our family car the will be taking long trips in and I will also be towing my race truck around at times. Just curious what my lowering options are and favored brands of kits along with strut/shock recommendations. TIA!!!

Aside from the diminished ride quality from lower-profile tires, you can lower these things beyond a usable height and still maintain the factory ride quality. If towing and with ride quality for road trips being a concern, I wouldn't go any larger than 22" wheels and invest in quality tires. With adequate clearancing, you can safely go 3" front, 4" rear with minimal effort. To cover towing, add helper air bags to the coils or have a functioning AutoLevel system, if yours is equipped.

For front, I'd get spindles and struts or coil relocators if you wanna keep your current struts and shorter sway bar end links. I'd add the extra degree alignment cams for good measure. For the back, it's "Free Travel Mod", coils, shock extenders, control arm relocators, adjustable panhard bar, offset sway bar end links and helper bags or Auto Level Control, which would require adjusting your sensor links according to the drop.

You'll also need to use a heat gun to soften and push back a few humps in the inner fender liners, front and rear. Depending on how your wheels sit, you may need to roll the fender lips and trim the fender liners here as well.

The lower you go, the more that needs to be done. For minimal work but to have "some" drop, a 2"/3" is the simple standard that reduces it to spindles, struts or relocators for the front and coils, FTM and shock extenders for the rear.

Last edited:

SUMTOY2

Reaction score
22in wheels 285 45 22 tires looking good but economical get a good set of air shocks for the rears if you're going tow. Call belltech or mcgaughys suspension mfgrs directly. Tell them what you want and what your going to do with it.
Alot of great people with advice on this forum too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518