Truck wont go into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KooL_Daddy313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was driving down the road and then I hear some clunking so I pull over to the side of the road and realize my truck wont move when I give it gas. It shifts into drive neutral and reverse I know this because I can feel it engaging and the speedometer goes up to about 5 mph when I shift to drive or reverse drops to 0 in neutral and if it shift from reverse to park it makes a noise as if I shifted from drive to park to fast while trying to park. It's and and all 4 wheel turn as I was able to push the truck with help from outta the middle of the street to the side of the street. Also the truck was able to pushed while still in park and drive shaft is still spinning. Did not check to see if the small drive shaft that goes from transfer case to front differential was spinning so My question is what could be my issue here? Got it towed to the dealership but they won't look at it until Monday morning just trying to get an idea of what I possibly could be so I can know how much this is gonna hurt my pockets appreciate the future help and thank you

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It would help if you can provide more information.
Vehicle year, model, mileage, how long you own it. When was the last time the vehicle's tranny was charged out. What color is the fluid. Have you put the transmission on manual mode and tried to see if it moves on 1st gear?

Reaction score
I was driving down the road and then I hear some clunking so I pull over to the side of the road and realize my truck wont move when I give it gas. It shifts into drive neutral and reverse I know this because I can feel it engaging and the speedometer goes up to about 5 mph when I shift to drive or reverse drops to 0 in neutral and if it shift from reverse to park it makes a noise as if I shifted from drive to park to fast while trying to park. It's and and all 4 wheel turn as I was able to push the truck with help from outta the middle of the street to the side of the street. Also the truck was able to pushed while still in park and drive shaft is still spinning. Did not check to see if the small drive shaft that goes from transfer case to front differential was spinning so My question is what could be my issue here? Got it towed to the dealership but they won't look at it until Monday morning just trying to get an idea of what I possibly could be so I can know how much this is gonna hurt my pockets appreciate the future help and thank you
Trying to interpret the above…are you saying it has no movement in any range setting (shifter position) after the clunking noise? So, no movement in Reverse or any Forward position? If so, could be a few things, in no particular order:

1) transmission pump failure
2) completely clogged transmission filter/pickup
3) torque converter failure
4) input shaft failure (spines stripped {or shaft snapped which is less likely})
5) transfer case failure (chain snapped or splines stripped internally)
6) Output shaft snapped/splines stripped

If i think of anything else, ill update this post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KooL_Daddy313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to interpret the above…are you saying it has no movement in any range setting (shifter position) after the clunking noise? So, no movement in Reverse or any Forward position? If so, could be a few things, in no particular order:

1) transmission pump failure
2) completely clogged transmission filter/pickup
3) torque converter failure
4) input shaft failure (spines stripped {or shaft snapped which is less likely})
5) transfer case failure (chain snapped or splines stripped internally)
6) Output shaft snapped/splines stripped

If i think of anything else, ill update this post.
Thanks. Yeah no movement in any gear but speedometer changes with every shift. Took it to the gmc dealership and they said my transfer case was shot. But when I pick it up and drove to work the next morning I literally had the same issue hear a clunking/grinding noise pull over to the side of the road and nothing. Well when I first came to I stop I hit the gas again and it moved but after putting it In park it no longer moved. To make things worse I got it towed back to the dealership and apparently the technician was able to take it out for a 5 mile drive with no issues and I looked under the truck they definitely out a new transfer case in

OP
OP
K

KooL_Daddy313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It would help if you can provide more information.
Vehicle year, model, mileage, how long you own it. When was the last time the vehicle's tranny was charged out. What color is the fluid. Have you put the transmission on manual mode and tried to see if it moves on 1st gear?
Yeah your right lol. 2008 yukon denali. I've owned it a year don't know what color the tranny fluid is didn't check that. Can't remember if I put it in first and tried I'm pretty sure I did tho. Dealer said my transfer case went out but when I got it back and drive it the next morning I literally had the same exact problem and got it towed back to them. They called me a few hours later and said the technician took for a drive and it had 0 issues which shocked me because I was truck on the side of the road a few hours prior

OP
OP
K

KooL_Daddy313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah your right lol. 2008 yukon denali. I've owned it a year don't know what color the tranny fluid is didn't check that. Can't remember if I put it in first and tried I'm pretty sure I did tho. Dealer said my transfer case went out but when I got it back and drive it the next morning I literally had the same exact problem and got it towed back to them. They called me a few hours later and said the technician took for a drive and it had 0 issues which shocked me because I was truck on the side of the road a few hours prior
To my knowledge it's the original Trans. I had the fluid changed out about 6 to 8 months ago with no issues

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9