2013 Denali XL rear springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
How do I test that the rear suspension is OK? Does it have auto-level? When I put something even moderately heavy, I notice the rear noticeably sags.

2013 Denali XL, 180K on the body. Upgrade rear shocks and springs with something stiffer? What are the springs and shocks that come with it?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I test that the rear suspension is OK? Does it have auto-level? When I put something even moderately heavy, I notice the rear noticeably sags.

2013 Denali XL, 180K on the body. Upgrade rear shocks and springs with something stiffer? What are the springs and shocks that come with it?
If your 2013 Denali XL is like my 2013 Denali XL, you have AutoLevel which has and air compressor and air shocks. At 180K you likely have a burned out air compressor and worn out air bags on the shocks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I test it?
Replace it?
If you are not the original owner, there is a chance that a previous owner took the cheap route and replaced the air bag shocks with a standard shock. The problem with that is many times folks don’t realize that they also need to replace the spring as the air ride spring is softer than a normal system spring.

Look under the vehicle at the rear shocks and see what you have. Here is what the air shock looks like.
1688985636877.png

If the shocks on your vehicle look like this, you can test it like this. With the vehicle running, load up the rear cargo area with some thing heavy, like a person or two. You should hear the compressor kick on and try and pump up the rear shocks. It is located behind the rear driver side wheel well. If you don’t hear it, your compressor is likely shot. If you do hear it, watch and see if the rear end lifts and levels out. If the compressor runs, you can get underneath and spray soapy water on the air lines and air bags to see if there is a leak.

My guess is that with 180K on the vehicle, both are shot. Typical failure mode is the air bag gets a leak which causes the compressor to keep running to try and air the system up and then just burns out. You can go OEM or Arnott makes good air shocks for our vehicles.

AS2708 is a reman unit that maintains the AutoRide feature for the rear.

AS2715 is a new unit that uses Arnotts a proprietary valve design with a resistor to bypass the AutoRide system so you don’t get an error.

I’ve used both over the years with good results.

For the compressor, I’ve used both Arnott and Dorman with good results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia