2013 Avalanche...LMG 5.3 to L96 6.0 (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the LS3 had CRAZY top end and pulled like a freight train but I wanted more low end grunt for the 6.0 and I wanted to up the compression so I took it apart down to the block and went to the trusty dingle ball hone and got rid of the dished pistons for some new GM Flat Top LS2 pistons...The main bearings and the cam bearings looked good to me so I reused them, just new pistons and rings only, no rebalance required...I also sold the 823 Heads (68cc) and went with a set of 243 Heads (64.5cc) for the smaller chambers so basically built an Iron Block LS2, I should be at right around 11:1...I ALMOST went with a factory GM cam but I couldnt bring myself to do it lol.....so I also added some Pac 1218 Valve Springs and for my cam I went with the High Lift version of Summit's new Stage 1 truck cam...I didnt take as many pics this time but here is what I got...

That sounds like a great torque building application with the 243 heads. I don't remember, do you run this one at the drag strip? Would love to see how much horsepower it puts down at the wheels through the traps!

OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great torque building application with the 243 heads. I don't remember, do you run this one at the drag strip? Would love to see how much horsepower it puts down at the wheels through the traps!

yah in the lower RPMs and part throttle it def feels stronger, from a stop its feels very responsive without having to give it much throttle...I havent gone WOT yet but I expect I lost some top end since I ditched the LS3 Heads, lost some cubes and I believe the Iron 6.0 is around 80lbs heavier than the Aluminum 6.2 as well, but overall I think this will be more enjoyable daily driver since most my time is spent under 4k RPM...

I havent ever taken this truck to the strip, its such a heavy ***** Im afraid ill break something lol but I do eventually want to get it Dyno Tuned, hopefully sometime next year so we should evntually know what she makes...when i had my 2011 L9H Silverado Dyno Tuned it made 374 RWHP, it was stock except for Kooks 1 7/8 Headers...I would expect similar numbers from this one since it has a cam but Im using the factory Manifolds and Y-Pipe with Corsa Cat back....

I found my old Dyno....
q2gj9zf.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah in the lower RPMs and part throttle it def feels stronger, from a stop its feels very responsive without having to give it much throttle...I havent gone WOT yet but I expect I lost some top end since I ditched the LS3 Heads, lost some cubes and I believe the Iron 6.0 is around 80lbs heavier than the Aluminum 6.2 as well, but overall I think this will be more enjoyable daily driver since most my time is spent under 4k RPM...

I havent ever taken this truck to the strip, its such a heavy ***** Im afraid ill break something lol but I do eventually want to get it Dyno Tuned, hopefully sometime next year so we should evntually know what she makes...when i had my 2011 L9H Silverado Dyno Tuned it made 374 RWHP, it was stock except for Kooks 1 7/8 Headers...I would expect similar numbers from this one since it has a cam but Im using the factory Manifolds and Y-Pipe with Corsa Cat back....

I found my old Dyno....
q2gj9zf.jpg

Cool, when I used to race, dyno cells were few and far between, we went to the drag strip and used math, which is what I'm proposing here. If your race weight is 6100 pounds and she puts down 375 RWHP, mathematically, she should run through the traps at around 14.7 @ 92 MPH. It's quite satisfying to beat those predictions!

We run ours once a year for fun, race weight is 6400 pounds and the 5.3 makes 307 HP at the wheels. Either just a plain L9H swap or something along the lines of what you've done would be fun to do someday.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love your truck and all of the work you have done. But I have a burning question.... Why didn't you change the LS3 cam for something that would move the torque band down lower? My Tahoe has a L9H and it NEVER has a lack of torque, anywhere in the rpm range. I know some of that is the VVT, but still... I also have a 06 Sierra Denali with the LQ9 and it has lots of torque down low, but not like my L9H. I like your different approaches to your project, and I can't wait for what you do in the future.

OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love your truck and all of the work you have done. But I have a burning question.... Why didn't you change the LS3 cam for something that would move the torque band down lower? My Tahoe has a L9H and it NEVER has a lack of torque, anywhere in the rpm range. I know some of that is the VVT, but still... I also have a 06 Sierra Denali with the LQ9 and it has lots of torque down low, but not like my L9H. I like your different approaches to your project, and I can't wait for what you do in the future.

I could have gone that route but I honestly just wanted a new project and I wanted to build a whole new combo with a set of cathedral port heads. All things being equal Cathedral heads are known to produce peak torque lower than the square port heads. With the LS3 I wanted to make the truck "fast", which for what it was it moved out very well. My buddy actually ended up buying my old 2011 L9H Silverado (still has it to this day) and we did a 30mph roll up to 100 right after I LS3 swapped the Avalanche and I gave him the hit and by the end I had about 2 lengths on him. Keep in mind the Silverado is lighter and has 3.73s vs my 3.42s but at this point it was all stock except a tune (I put the factory exhaust manifolds back on when I sold it). No video unfortunately. With this project I just wanted to build a stump puller. I have no doubt its slower than before but it drives so nice and makes gobs of torque down low right where this tank needs it.

Here's a great article talking about Cathedral vs Square Port heads.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ghtp-1205-cathedral-vs-rectangular-port-cylinders-head-to-head/

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have gone that route but I honestly just wanted a new project and I wanted to build a whole new combo with a set of cathedral port heads. All things being equal Cathedral heads are known to produce peak torque lower than the square port heads. With the LS3 I wanted to make the truck "fast", which for what it was it moved out very well. My buddy actually ended up buying my old 2011 L9H Silverado (still has it to this day) and we did a 30mph roll up to 100 right after I LS3 swapped the Avalanche and I gave him the hit and by the end I had about 2 lengths on him. Keep in mind the Silverado is lighter and has 3.73s vs my 3.42s but at this point it was all stock except a tune (I put the factory exhaust manifolds back on when I sold it). No video unfortunately. With this project I just wanted to build a stump puller. I have no doubt its slower than before but it drives so nice and makes gobs of torque down low right where this tank needs it.

Here's a great article talking about Cathedral vs Square Port heads.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ghtp-1205-cathedral-vs-rectangular-port-cylinders-head-to-head/

wtf happened to the maggy?!?! thats what you shoulda seen thru till the end!

Last edited:
OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wtf happened to the maggy?!?! thats what you shoulda seen thru till the end!

yahhhh I basically decided I didnt want to have that much money into it, if I could do it all over again I would have just did a AFM/VVT delete on the 5.3 and bought a TVS1900 for it instead of all the motor swaps but ive enjoyed the "build" so far, at this point I just want a solid daily and I want to get a project car, just cant decide if I want something cheap like an older mustang I can LS swap or spend a little more on a 00-02 WS6 or 05-07 NBS truck

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yahhhh I basically decided I didnt want to have that much money into it, if I could do it all over again I would have just did a AFM/VVT delete on the 5.3 and bought a TVS1900 for it instead of all the motor swaps but ive enjoyed the "build" so far, at this point I just want a solid daily and I want to get a project car, just cant decide if I want something cheap like an older mustang I can LS swap or spend a little more on a 00-02 WS6 or 05-07 NBS truck

LS-swapped fox body FTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu