2013 Avalanche...LMG 5.3 to L96 6.0 (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lol: i was sorta kidding

selling modded truck is futile in most cases. gen5>4 swap not sure if it would work easily prob wiring/tuning nightmare, may be able to use shortblock with 5.3 heads?

OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lol: i was sorta kidding

selling modded truck is futile in most cases. gen5>4 swap not sure if it would work easily prob wiring/tuning nightmare, may be able to use shortblock with 5.3 heads?

Yah if I swap the 6.0 back in I would want around $16k-$17k....new truck I would prob leave the 5.3, cam it, shackle drop it and thrown on some 22s....save LS3, CCWs and TVS1900 for single cab to be purchased down the road...

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't mind sharing, what problems have you had with the 2015?

Catastrophic oil leak, (misformed oil cooler) G80 locked solid, random misfires, and something else I do not remember. It has been towed back to dealership twice. All in all it has had more problems in a short period than any vehicle we have owned. We are both retired, have owned a lot of vehicles. The wife won't get rid of it, and I agree, other than those issues it has been a good truck and she likes it. It is fully loaded and gets good mpg. When the warranty is gone, I would feel better about letting it go.

When she is ready to let it go, she will get an older truck. Both her 2009 Tahoe and her 2013 Tahoe were awesome and had no issues.

OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catastrophic oil leak, (misformed oil cooler) G80 locked solid, random misfires, and something else I do not remember. It has been towed back to dealership twice. All in all it has had more problems in a short period than any vehicle we have owned. We are both retired, have owned a lot of vehicles. The wife won't get rid of it, and I agree, other than those issues it has been a good truck and she likes it. It is fully loaded and gets good mpg. When the warranty is gone, I would feel better about letting it go.

When she is ready to let it go, she will get an older truck. Both her 2009 Tahoe and her 2013 Tahoe were awesome and had no issues.

Thanks for sharing...sorry to hear you have been having issues but it sounds like it hasn't been anything major....as far as I know my buddy has not had any problems with his and he's had 30k trouble free miles, If I do end up buying it I will pull the motor and swap a new cam and most likely delete the oil cooler, I rarely tow anything and deleting the cooler gets you a little bump in oil pressure as well as one less place to worry about an oil leak...

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler was major, dropped all the oil out on IH35, (tpwtruck) the G80 locked up the rear diff, (towtruck) fortunately we were closer to home that time. My best friend has the right idea, when the warranty runs out, trade it in.

Don't get me wrong, I like the truck, but neither of my current NBS has ever left me on the side of the road amd none of my previous NBS's gave me any trouble. All of these problems happened after 50k miles. I hope the problems are over and this truck is an anomoly.

OP
OP
01FormulaTA

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor update....so considered selling the truck to get a newer Silverado for a while but in the end I decided against it.

Just gonna keep it and drive it as is. I was gonna go put a blower on it but have since decided I miss rowing gears and I would rather get a weekend project instead of throwing more money in my daily. Once I sell my blower and CCWs I wanna look for a 99-04 C5 or 99-02 WS6....

Anyways I pulled the longtubes and ordered some new OE Manifolds and a oe new y-pipe and threw them on, while I have had several vehicles with longtubes I guess I’m getting older now lol so for now the quietness of the cast iron manifolds and stock Y make for a more enjoyable daily driver...and I did throw some 22” replicas on with new Hankook 275/45R22 rubber and some Belltech drop springs I got from @NathanJax...oh and I changed out the VortecMax badges to black...Front Fenders sit at 35” and rear are at 36”...

946E76v.jpg

WVu7mM3.jpg

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read through this entire thread for probably the 3rd time since you started this project and I love it. One question I have and I don't recall reading about it, but why did you go from the ARH headers to the Kooks. I know you are now going back to stock manifolds, but were one brand of long tubes better than the other?
I am on the fence between ARH and Kooks for my L9H Tahoe and am hoping for some info that may want one brand more than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shawn7253