2012 Yukon XL Denali, My first full size GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might want to pick up a tech2 clone they run about $300 online (dealer diagnostic tool) it will pay for it's self over time, considering anytime you avoid taking it to the dealer you save $100+
the tech2 will allow you to see the air-shock pressure and recalibrate if needed. Generally unloaded they should be around 20 psi or so, you can also reach under behind the wheel and give them a squeeze they should feel like a kids rubber ball, slightly firm but not hard as a rock.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find. Hope you didn't pay too much, because apparently prices on used SUVs have skyrocketed, except in California

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Some have lol, it's sporatic private seller vs dealer can be a big gap, cash is king right now

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that premium tricoat paint? That’s a showroom darling with the running boards tucked under the 22’s. The bench turns the back of truck into a kids lounge.

Im sure you’re already getting nods of approval. Did you get the equipment level equivalent to the LTZ trim you were looking for?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, it is the DWP tri-coat, if I ended up with a Denali that's the color I wanted along with the tan interior.

As far as options, yes, this one exceeds my criteria, I think the original owner checked every box but also wanted to keep the bench. I'm not well versed in the avail options for each trim level, but it does have the blindspot warning, backup sensors, 2nd and 3rd row DVD (not sure how much they will get used, time will tell) power folding and heated 2nd row bench, air on all 4 corners, and folding running boards.

I was mainly after the vented seats and heated steering wheel with the LTZ, along with the autoride.

you might want to pick up a tech2 clone they run about $300 online (dealer diagnostic tool) it will pay for it's self over time, considering anytime you avoid taking it to the dealer you save $100+
the tech2 will allow you to see the air-shock pressure and recalibrate if needed. Generally unloaded they should be around 20 psi or so, you can also reach under behind the wheel and give them a squeeze they should feel like a kids rubber ball, slightly firm but not hard as a rock.

A Tech 2 is definitely on my list, been wanting one for awhile. I honestly threw in the towell for a short bit while debating the handheld over the MDI interface through a laptop, but I think the handheld will be perfect.

Honestly not sure where to get one that is well made or that won't get held up in customs.

I'm all in for a Tech 2 that has all the adapters necessary and the memory card, something I can use on 2 vehicles.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, it is the DWP tri-coat, if I ended up with a Denali that's the color I wanted along with the tan interior.

As far as options, yes, this one exceeds my criteria, I think the original owner checked every box but also wanted to keep the bench. I'm not well versed in the avail options for each trim level, but it does have the blindspot warning, backup sensors, 2nd and 3rd row DVD (not sure how much they will get used, time will tell) power folding and heated 2nd row bench, air on all 4 corners, and folding running boards.

I was mainly after the vented seats and heated steering wheel with the LTZ, along with the autoride.

A Tech 2 is definitely on my list, been wanting one for awhile. I honestly threw in the towell for a short bit while debating the handheld over the MDI interface through a laptop, but I think the handheld will be perfect.

Honestly not sure where to get one that is well made or that won't get held up in customs.

I'm all in for a Tech 2 that has all the adapters necessary and the memory card, something I can use on 2 vehicles.

I bought my Tech 2 on Ebay (like $330) from the highest rated Chinese seller I could find. Alibaba.com has the same exact product for sale, probably the same sellers in China that are selling on eBay, it will be less expensive on Alibaba, but you likely will have a little less protection.

They quoted like 2 months delivery and it came in about 2 weeks. Many others have had this exact experience with regard to the quoted versus actual shipping times.

I will say, I did get a bad disk (of the two CD's included in my package). The seller was useless getting it replaced. The good news is that documentation was readily available on the internet, free downloads.

Good luck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you look on ebay usually there are sellers that are based in the usa, it will show there location right about where it shows the shipping date/expected delivery, makes returns easier as well if there happens to be any issue. Most likely they will be in California

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You did your research and it paid off. That prolly means you got the integrated trailer brake controller that ties in with the stabilitrac. It’s also the first year for the standard trailer sway control through the ABS.

You also got the first year of hill start assist to hold the truck and the tow in place on an incline when stopped. The 6.2L should be content pulling anything. If you don’t mind the decreased range run it on e85 and the tune on the motor will detect the add’l octane to provide the full 403 hp it’s rated for.

Keep in mind when checking off the service items for the 100k major service that GM has a Brembo oem brake upgrade. It bolts on to the GMT900 SUV & trucks. GM just added the 5JL upgrade to the 21> Tahoe police interceptor package so look for price drops as it becomes more commonplace.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Pe...MIn8TwnYzh8AIVlD6tBh2-Pgs8EAQYAiABEgLwkvD_BwE

I got the clone kit with parts from a ZR1 Vette. I had the time to really scour the internet for the required parts in between brake jobs. It shaved about a grand off the GM 5JL kit totaling $1.4k to the door. That’s an insane price to upgrade the Achilles heel of these trucks.

I see they just added a Brembo / Vette kit for the rear based off C7 base calipers and the 07-19 rear rear oem rotors* I wonder if GM will follow with a similar set up. Anyway, for those who tow this will better you on the 2500 Burb brakes.

edit*
Cadillac 23195438
Chevrolet 22775300
Chevrolet 23195438
GMC 15792634
GMC 22968231
GMC 23195438
GMC 25832103

Seems as though the base C7 4 pot calipers will simply bolt on to the oem or upgrades rear discs with the adapters. That’s an easy way to get more surface area on the rear and still use off the shelf oem GM parts.

https://ctsvbrakeswap.com/collections/gm-truck-suv-kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant to say, "My first full size GM"

Fixed it for you.

Glad you bought it before someone else did. Nice find on your well maintained Denali. You have the perfect vehicle for your family to keep you safe plus perfect for those longer trips.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did your research and it paid off. That prolly means you got the integrated trailer brake controller that ties in with the stabilitrac

Thanks, yes it does, was glad to see I didn't need to wire up an aftermarket.

GM has a Brembo oem brake upgrade. It bolts on to the GMT900 SUV & trucks. GM just added the 5JL upgrade to the 21> Tahoe police interceptor package so look for price drops as it becomes more commonplace.

That's very good to know, thank you.

Fixed it for you.

Glad you bought it before someone else did. Nice find on your well maintained Denali. You have the perfect vehicle for your family to keep you safe plus perfect for those longer trips.

Thank you. The extra space will surely be utilized.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking truck! I have always loved the white diamond tri coat paint and I have a particular fondness for that 22inch wheel option. I just think it looks really good!
It’s what I want to pick up soon as well. I almost picked up one identical to that but with mid row captains and black leather interior, in November this past year, as one came up with only 44k on the odometer, and it was only a couple hours drive from me. The owner sent me time stamped photos he took to prove the odometer reading was correct. I wanted it bad. Lol. But it wasn’t the right timing for me so I had to let it go.

Anyways, I just picked up a tech2 clone from obd2eshop.com, came out to $347($68 of which was shipping) but it shipped from California(two hours drive from me actually) in less than a week. I couldn’t find any on eBay or Amazon for under $500, and when I found this one on that website I pretty much just grabbed it. It came with all the necessary attachments as well so they can be had here in the US for fairly inexpensive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe