2012 Tahoe won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billeickmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe has 55,000 miles and has been very reliable. Last week, I got the check engine light, but it continued to run properly on my way home. Just a few miles. Next start, it ran very rough and stalled. Check engine light was still on. I tried cleaning the MAF, as it had never been done and put in a new air filter. Now, she cranks just fine, but does not even kick. No hint of firing. I pulled a spark plug boot and it sparked a plug when cranked. Not a big spark, but it jumped the gap. I then tried some starting fluid and nothing. Three tries and just a little cough. Could it be a weak spark?

I next bought a code reader off Amazon. It shows the vehicle VIN, but no codes. I tried cranking with the code reader on and still no code. The check engine light is still on. Repeated several times.

I bought the truck new Jan. 2013 and it has had no engine work, so maybe I am overdue. Any suggestions please?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe has 55,000 miles and has been very reliable. Last week, I got the check engine light, but it continued to run properly on my way home. Just a few miles. Next start, it ran very rough and stalled. Check engine light was still on. I tried cleaning the MAF, as it had never been done and put in a new air filter. Now, she cranks just fine, but does not even kick. No hint of firing. I pulled a spark plug boot and it sparked a plug when cranked. Not a big spark, but it jumped the gap. I then tried some starting fluid and nothing. Three tries and just a little cough. Could it be a weak spark?

I next bought a code reader off Amazon. It shows the vehicle VIN, but no codes. I tried cranking with the code reader on and still no code. The check engine light is still on. Repeated several times.

I bought the truck new Jan. 2013 and it has had no engine work, so maybe I am overdue. Any suggestions please?
check to be sure you have fuel pressure

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you have a CEL and your scanner isn't displaying a code, I would maybe consider a problem with the code scanner first.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Code scanner or operator problem. What color was the "weak" spark you saw? Orange or blue? Need fuel pressure reading. Age of tune related components? Original? At 55k miles I would assume they are.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bill, you have to get those codes, otherwise you're just guessing and wasting time and maybe money. Seems like a fuel problem to me but I haven't seen the codes!

OP
OP
Billeickmann

Billeickmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK. I went out to my truck to try the code reader again and she started. There was no check engine light, but she did run rough. It slowly became normal after a minute. I tried the code reader and I got P0172, system too rich bank 1 and P0175 system too rich bank 2.

OP
OP
Billeickmann

Billeickmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shut her off and let her cool. Started again and got the same two codes again. Yes, all of the engine is original. I have only done tires, brakes, oil, battery, and filters.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I went out to my truck to try the code reader again and she started. There was no check engine light, but she did run rough. It slowly became normal after a minute. I tried the code reader and I got P0172, system too rich bank 1 and P0175 system too rich bank 2.

Is your truck a flex fuel version?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you could determine if your scan tool can do live data display, that is probably going to be helpful down the road (most do).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts