2012 Tahoe transmission shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2012 Tahoe after pulling into a parking space, wouldn’t shift into park, or any other gear for that matter. Was stuck in drive. Shift lever was very loose and nothing registered on instrument cluster. I set emergency brake and turned off engine. Unable to restart since I couldn’t put into PARK. Had to get it towed to dealership. No word from them on what has failed,, yet. Any idea what could have happened?

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Thank you! I was afraid it was a transmission failure. I’ll wait for dealer results!

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Transmission shift cable broke. Comes with 2 cables to replace, one exterior and one interior joined together. Replaced by dealer for $384, bargain as far as I’m concerned!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission shift cable broke. Comes with 2 cables to replace, one exterior and one interior joined together. Replaced by dealer for $384, bargain as far as I’m concerned!

Had a big rig blow a tire right in front of me once, took the "gator" down the center between the wheels and thought, whew! that was close. Couple hours later went to pull into a rest stop and the shifter just flopped around and couldn't get her out of gear. Set the parking brake, crawled under and manually shifted into park. Had to crawl under a few more times to get it out of the parking space and pointed towards the highway again and then replaced the cable the next day. Happened again six months later!

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Interesting!! That happened to me before the failure too, With a guy’s trailer that blew a tire in front of me and thought nothing of it until you mentioned your experience.

Reaction score
There isn't one for the tranny from the factory that I know of. It would have to be an aftermarket/custom part I'm guessing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes