2012 Tahoe Automatic Door Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My daughter bought a 2012 Tahoe and she has already locked her keys in the vehicle once because apparently when the last door is closed, the locks automatically engage within seconds. Having Onstar unlock the vehicle, or carrying a spare key, shouldn't be the only way to stop this from happening.

I downloaded the owner's manual, but after reading the section on DIC, it doesn't appear that this "automatic locking when the last door is closed" is a feature that can be disabled!

Have I missed something that can be changed by an owner? or is this something that only a dealer can reprogram? or is this something that NO ONE CAN DISABLE?

Thanks in advance for any help ... my daughter lives nearly 5 hours away, so keeping a spare key and driving to her place to unlock her car isn't really an alternative!

P.S. Being new to this site, I wasn't sure which forum I should post this question in ... so, if an administrator thinks it will get better responses in another forum, please move it for me.

Last edited:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think these have that feature mine's never automatically locked the doors when the last door closes maybe she hit the button?

OP
OP
B

bankerjohn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think these have that feature mine's never automatically locked the doors when the last door closes maybe she hit the button?

She's visiting us this week, and when she got back here after going to the grocery store, I went out to finish unloading her vehicle. Both the tailgate and the passenger's side back door was open .... but once they were both closed, all the doors were locked. Whether the locks were engaged when my daughter first exited the vehicle, I don't know for sure ... but she swears that the Tahoe does "automatically lock when all the doors are closed"!

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait I think I know what your talking about I had a door open for a while and they just locked after like 10 minutes but nothing that fast I think someone who knows more should take it from here sorry I have no clue

HoeNuff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't know there was an auto lock feature like this

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Is the lock button on one of the front doors being pressed everytime she exits the vehicle? Pressing that button will auto-lock the doors after a few seconds however I thought this only happens after the keys are no longer in close proximity...

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought their was an OnStar app for iphone/android that will allow you to unlock your car on the newer '11+ vehicles? If you do have OnStar, I'd say that's the best route for quickest unlock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157